Saturday, September 7, 2013

A farewell "summer friday"

Late summer touch me nots

Yesterday was the last of the "summer Fridays" at work.  For the past several years my employer has let us work an extra hour Monday to Thursday and take a half day on Friday during the summer.  This opportunity has enabled me to fish on Friday afternoons without taking a vacation day.

Friday was cool with the temps barely making it into the 60's.  Not only was it a farewell to summer Fridays, but it was a fitting farewell to summer in general.  I love being outdoors on these cooler days and am looking forward to the coming fall.



My plan was to move around a lot, to fish big dries and Euro nymph some faster water.  At the first location, I saw a good number of isonychia coming off, which was good sign.  I fished the iso comparadun and a parachute Adams and had several brief hookups and one brook trout on the Adams.

This little guy took the Adams with abandon

It seemed like the fish were tentative with taking the dry.   I then turning the Euro rig and worked the same area.  On one of the first drifts through a nice slot, I saw the line stop.  At first it felt like I had snagged the bottom until the bottom starting heading for the opposite bank!  I think it was a large rainbow since I saw some red on the flank.  After a charging run into some shallow water the fish managed to toss the hook.  A couple more wild browns were taken on the smaller DDT dropper.

Wild brown caught on the DDT

Towards evening there were more isos coming off mixed with some white flies (#14), caddis, and olives coming off but not much interest from the fish.  I finished up the evening with the iso comparadun but again had a couple brief hooks up but nothing to the net but it was wonderful day to be outside on this final summer Friday.

12 comments:

  1. Mark
    I feel your pain on shy takes, especially when it comes to dries. The colors on that wild brown is outstanding. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bill - guess it's that time of year to start fishing wets and nymphs

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to end summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LQN - a fitting farewell for sure

      Delete
  4. I wish my job had the same deal as yours for Fridays....I could use some fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi - it is a great benefit for which I am very thankful

      Delete
  5. There's nothing like being out on those cool days that hint of fall. They're almost as enjoyable as fall itself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill - fall is my favorite time of year, the colors, the smells, the cool air ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seem to work an hour extra day, plus work all of Friday! That is a great arrangement! As we head into spring, with the hint of pale green leaves on every dry tree branch, and only the burnt grass carrying a verdant suggestion of the summer to come, and reading of the upcoming Autumn for you, it highlights the remarkable contrast of the hemispheres, and the mental tapestries that weaves. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Truttablog...we live on an amazing orb; hanging in space at just the right place; spinning at an angle that gives seasons...all reasons that point my mind to an omniscient God.

      Delete
  8. Best wishes for an excellent autumn season on those lovely mountain streams!

    ReplyDelete