Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Fall in the Adirondacks

This post is a quick "teaser" of sorts. A good friend of mine and I just got back from a couple days in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks.  I am really fall in love with this region of the Adirondacks and this last trip has just fueled the fever. This trip was primary a hiking trip but since we were up in Ausable country, I did manage a couple hours of fishing one afternoon. We arrived around dusk the first night to a cold front blowing through that brought temps in the low 40's and strong winds all through the evening and the next day. The next day it was raw, with temps hovering in the low 40's, overcast skies and drizzle hanging on the tops of the peaks, and lots of wind.  We spent the day driving around and doing some exploring.

Shadow Rock Pool on the Ausable River

I fished from about 4pm to 6pm around Shadow Rock on the Ausable.  Despite the tough conditions I did spot some fish rising.  I started out with an iso comparadun with an iso nymph dropper.  Within 5 minutes, I hooked a big brown that took the nymph and ran hard for the tail of the pool.  I managed to turn him before he headed downstream and out of the pool but he managed to find some jagged rocks and snag the line between them.  I tried to go after him but he managed to break the dropper off before I could get to him.  No worries since there were still rising fish working, so I focused on fishing the comparadun and hooked another nice brook trout that promptly headed for the bottom and pulled the same trick! I guess fish are smatter in the adirondacks (I think Fran Betters wrote a book by that title). Working a little upstream I managed to spot another fish poking his nose out and hooked a second brown on the comparadun that also managed to unhook himself.  It wasn't a great day for catching but I was pleased to hook a few decent fish under rough condition on a river that is very new to me.

Two huge boulders each the size of a small house!

I will be going through the 75 or so pictures I took over the last couple days and putting up a few posts of some of the amazing vistas we visited over the last few days so I hope you will stay tuned.

8 comments:

  1. Mark
    Beautiful area you guys were hiking and fishing ---looking forward to more pics thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill - the weather was rough at first but really turned around the last day and we saw some amazing landscapes

      Delete
  2. It's a fine time for the Adirondacks, if you hit the weather right. At least you got a memorable hook up or two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome, looking forward to the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LQN and RKM - just going through pictures, although they don't really capture the immensity of the landscape!

      Walt - the Adirondacks this time of year can be a real mix of weather for sure. One day is a warm and sunny and the next is cold and windy with snow flurries. You have to be prepared for anything and everything

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to some more pics. I never grow tired of seeing pics and posts of the Adirondacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope to have the first installment up today !

      Delete