Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Tale of two Adirondack brooks

Touch me not

Last week I visited my favorite Adirondack brook.  It was dry and in need of some rain.  I fished a Royal Wulff most of the afternoon and had many strikes and brief hookups but no fish wanted to come to hand for a quick photo.  It seemed like the fish were just nipping at the tail of the fly.







The following day, I headed to the other side of the mountain to fish an upstream section and found it too low to fish so I moved on to a brook I've seen before but never investigated. The difference between two brooks is pretty striking.





The brook pictured above is tanin-stained while the new brook pictured below was striking clear. There was plenty of water flowing and many very deep pools.

When I  dream of the Adriondacks, this is the picture that comes to mind



One of the deeper pools: about 3-4ft deep in the middle of the pool

 Many brook trout were hooked briefly and then off again but I did manage to bring one to hand to photograph.  I will definitely be going back to explore more of this lovely Adirondack brook

Adirondack Gold

11 comments:

  1. Brookie streams with a nice gradient to them are always beautiful and fun to fish. Hopefully the flows get a little better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - I love high gradient streams like these. I will miss the Adirondack brooks when the season closes in mid October and will look forward to the coming spring.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks SW - was fun to fish and explore!

      Delete
  3. Love those little pools, they kind of appear out of nowhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking brooks, except for the low water. I hope they get some water soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Low water is NOT a problem here in Maine..just the opposite..really nice looking spot..nice job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. penbayman - guess the moisture off the great lakes is passing over the Adack and coming down in Maine.

      Delete
  6. Mark
    Some nice pocket water here, with some heavy boulders to navigate; what weight /length fly rod were you using? Thanks for sharing ---beautiful brook trout!

    ReplyDelete