Thursday, October 24, 2013

A blustery day on the Housatonic

The Houstanoic River in the fading colors of Fall

This afternoon was one of those blustery fall days, with the temperature barely reaching 50 and windy.  Nevertheless, it was a great late fall day to be outside and what better way to spend it then standing in a river swinging wet flies.

I met my neighbor Mike late morning and we took a drive up to the Housatonic River in Northeastern CT. When we arrived at the river and found a good stretch of water to fish.  Soon after getting into the water we noticed some fish rising.  I started out nymphing but quickly realized that fishing wets was the way to go in the wind.  Switching over to a bead head pheasant tail soft hackle, I soon had the first fish of the day but it quickly came unbuttoned.  I stuck with swinging the PT soft hackle most of the day and managed to land a handful of browns.  Mid afternoon I switched to a # 22 olive CDC emeger and managed one rainbow.


The first brown of the afternoon, notice the green elastomer behind the right eye

Mike with a nice rainbow

A lovely rainbow that took the #22 olive CDC emerger

I had thought that this might turn out to be a good day for swinging wets so I brought my 12' two hander along to get in some practice.  I was swinging a Mickey Fin when I hooked a rainbow and landed my first fish on the new spey rod.


Another nice brown that took the PT soft hackle,
 this one has a red elastomer behind the right eye

The days are getting shorter this time of year and by the time the sun was going down, the cold was starting to take it's toll on legs and hands.  I've been saving a few vacation days for my favorite time of year, and today was exactly what I had in mind.  It was enjoyable day spent outdoors in good company.

8 comments:

  1. Nicely done Mark, its getting colder out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LQN - the warm days of summer and early fall are leaving but still worth getting out and enjoying the new season approaching!

      Delete
  2. Mark
    I have really got into the swinging technique. I will try the BH Pheasant with the swinging technique. I fish the BH Leech a lot with this technique. Were you using an indicator with the tiny olive emerger? Glad you guys had a great trip --thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill- any wet fly works with the down and across swing. I did hook a few casting upstream and then following it down and then swinging. The main thing is to maintain contact so that you can detect the strikes. I was fishing the olive emerger dry and the rainbow took it off the surface

      Delete
  3. Looks like a wonderful outing Mark. These last few days have been quite blustery.
    I managed to get out for a few hours today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brk Trt, glad to hear you are out and about as well.

      Delete
  4. The Hous. looks like a lovely river on which to spend some autumn hours fishing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt, the Housatonic runs through some classic New England country and it is a great place to spend a fall afternoon.

      Delete