Saturday, November 9, 2013

A cool Novermber Saturday

the dashboard thermometer  

This morning started out a frosty 29 degrees and clear, one of those crisp fall mornings.  I got an early start and headed to a nice run to do some early morning nymphing.  Things were slow getting started but I did manage two browns Euro-nymphing.  One took the DDT dropper and the other the Rock Candy anchor.  After a couple of fish to start the day off, I drove to meet Alan.




The last taste of Autumn color along the Farmington

A nice brown that took the Rock Candy anchor

After some chatting, we decided to visit a small stream for the late morning/early afternoon and then head back to the Farmington later in the afternoon.

I felt as if I was in the Adirondacks on this small stream

We both fished an Ausable bomber and had lots of small brook trout attack the fly.  I managed to hook one, take it's picture and send it back on it's way.  At one point, I just stood and observed several spawing pairs of brook trout circling in a larger pool.  They weren't interested in the fly, having other things on their minds.

A nicely colored November brook trout

The stream had a good flow of water despite this fall being so dry.  It will be interesting to come back and fish this stream when there is more water in it, in that there are some nice deep holding lies and I suspect it is capable of producing some larger brook trout.

We headed back to the Farmington around 1PM.  I was hoping to find some fish sipping olives.  It seemed like a perfect day for it, overcast with afternoon temperatures in the mid 40's.  I elected to fish a spot that I thought was promising and Alan headed upstream for a little bit before he had to leave. After 45 minutes, I had yet to see a rise and the temperature was cooling off, so I decided to pack up and head for home.  I thought I would stop and check out a place I haven't fished in quite some time since it was on the way home.  In years past, this location has had fish rising in late fall to small olives. As I walked the bank, my eyes were scanning the surface for any small dimpled rises.  After spotting one that rose twice, I cast a #22 olive snowshoe emerger over it and manged to hook a decent brown. After sending the brown on it's way, I was able to fool another brown and a rainbow before everything went quite for the afternoon.

The first brown of the afternoon on the snowshoe olive emerger

The last fish of the afternoon

It was a typical November day in New England and wonderful to spend most of it outside fishing. Today was a mixed bag, a little Euro nymphing, some small stream fishing with Alan, and fishing small flies to rising fish to close out the day.

11 comments:

  1. Except for the early chill, it sounds like you had a good day. Hopefully I'll be able to make a run up there this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you are back, too bad we were able to meet up this time

      Delete
  2. You my friend did quite well. I enjoyed that small stream outing, and the brief Farmy outing.
    Beautiful brookie on the "Bomber"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - it was a lot of fun on the small stream, thanks for meeting up with me

      Delete
  3. It's always a shame to see the end of the autumn colors. But those trout certainly more than make up for it. I always prefer the brookies but those browns are pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiwi - thanks, it is sad to see the colors of fall fading but a new season is coming with it's own unique beauty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Stuff Mark!! You had a nice day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes we did, a little fishing buffet if you will !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like a banner day of fishing, glad they are still taking dries in the colder weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LQN - they still are taking dries but I don't know for how much longer. We are living on borrowed time on that front

      Delete
  8. Mark
    Those are some beautiful browns you landed there; I am still hoping we are able to get browns put in the tailrace here soon. I am so impressed with your header image, have you landed trout in any of the fast water shown in the image? If so I am curious as to the fly you were using? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete