Saturday, November 2, 2013

Starting off November

Maple in the morning sun

Today I had the opportunity to spend most of the daylight hours out on the Farmington River. It was one of those glorious fall days.  The sun began peering over the tree tops about 8am casting it's warm light on the reds and yellows of the hardwood forest.  I started off nymphing and picked up two nice browns and a rainbow and dropped another.  All the fish took the DDT dropper.






First rainbow on the DDT

The first direct morning sun light over the Farmington River

Farmington Brown in fall colors

After a couple of hours, I headed up river for a tune-up of my Spey casting.  It was good to get in some more practice and correct some faults under the watchful eye of Mary and Jerry of Spey Casting North East.  I also wanted to get in some practice casting "river right".  Jerry helped me figure out the snap T and snake roll.  After a couple of hours, I think I have most fishing situations covered.  Between my love for fishing wets and the pleasing gentle rhythm of Spey casting, I can see myself looking for a light trout Spey rod.

After picking up a sandwich and some water, I headed up river in search of some fish sipping olives.  I wanted to keep my streak of consecutive months of catching a fish on a dry fly going.  I figured today would be one of the few opportunities for Nov and wanted to take advantage of the warm weather. I was pleasantly surprised that I had the spot in mind totally to myself.  I couldn't see another soul up or down river!   Before long I started seeing the dimples of fish taking emergers.  Carefully observing the rises revealed the backs and tails of fish which indicated they were taking something in the top inch or two of the water column.  I put on a #22 CDC olive emerger and started casting down and across.  If the cast was spot on and the timing was right, I would get a gentle take.  I missed a couple fish but I was able to connect with a nice brown and then the best fish of the day, a hefty 16 in rainbow.  After I landed the rainbow and keeping my streak alive, I decided to call it a day even though there were still fish rising.



I was thankful for such a wonderful day in the warm sun and fall colors enjoying some quality fishing in peace and solitude.  Days like these are medicine for the soul!


8 comments:

  1. Nice Job!! Last brown is a pretty fish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pete, nice call on the am spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a beautiful day with gorgeous fish to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiwi - it was one of those top 10 days to be outside, just love the fall

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark
    Of all the places you and Alan fish the Farmington has to be my favorite. It is one beautiful tailrace. I am glad you mention the sub surface activity, because I have seen that numbers of times with the rainbow on our tailrace here. I do know when that is happening it is difficult to get a take, at least with me casting the flies. I will give the emergers a try when sub surface occurs again here. Those were beautiful trout you landed. Enjoyed the read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, I will post the flies used and the recipes later this week so stay tuned

      Delete
  6. Two thumbs up.
    Mark were the leaves a problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - thanks, the leaves were not a problem where I was either in the morning or the afternoon but there were large piles of them on the bottom in the soft eddies. At times, it felt like I was standing in 2-3 ft of sunken leaves.

      Delete