Saturday, December 7, 2013

A December outing

Winterberry adding some color to a gray December day
The weather forecast was calling for a chilly week ahead and today looked like the best opportunity to do a little small stream fishing so plans were made to meet up with Alan and Kirk.  The stream had a healthy flow thanks to two days of light rain.  The day was mostly overcast, cold, and damp but the sun did break through occasionally, warming our backs and faces.

The sun brightening an otherwise gray day

The brook trout were enthusiastic despite the raw day and showed an interest in a variety of flies.  Sometimes you just want to fish a certain way, even if it isn't the most productive for the conditions.  Today was one of those days, I really wanted to fish a dry so I chose one of Fran's mini muddler since I could fish it both dry and wet.  The fish took it off the surface keeping my dry fly streak alive but they also took it stripped sub-surface.



A handful of colorful December brook trout
Alan and Kirk took me to another section of stream that was new to me.  The new section was wider and had more water flowing in it.  I manged to take two nicely colored brown trout on the mini muddler before calling it a day.

The first brown of the afternoon

The last and best fish of the afternoon




15 comments:

  1. superb post a great way to spend a winter afternoon ! love the new look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Col, was good to get out for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some very nice December eye Candy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice fishing with you.
    That section holds a few big ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brk Trt - Great fishing with you as well. Now I know that section holds some "real" fish.

      Delete
  5. Mark
    The colors on those trout this time of year are astounding. That last trout you landed tested your skills with the 3wt or 2 wt---which weight rod and length was you using? What impresses me about the streams you and Alan fish aside from the beauty is the low banks. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - yes the brook trout were in fine color for so late in the year. Right now, I'm only fishing my Cabela's CGT fiberglass 3 wt (5'9"). Paired with a orvis battenkill #1 it makes a fine combination and I just noticed Cabela's has them (2 and 3wt) on sale for $75. Great deal for a very nice small stream rod!

      Delete
    2. My younger brother has a CGT 4 wt and he loves it. Great little rod for panfish and small streams, it makes a bluegill feel like a steelhead!

      Delete
  6. Looks like a productive day with some beautiful trout. I'm jealous....it seems like an age since the last time I had a chance to go out. My hat's off to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi - it was a very nice day for sure! Damp cold can go through you like a knife but the weather wasn't effecting the fishing.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful fish. You definitely had much better luck than I did. Next time I'll try the mini-muddler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krik - this is the first year I've fished the mini muddler and I've been very pleased with the results and the versatility of the fly. Check out the link on the fly box to the right for details

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous colors on the brookies! That last brown is a great fish for a small stream, he must have put up a good fight. I'll definitely have to try the mini muddler next time out! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I've been very impressed with the mini muddler this year, it's giving the Ausable bomber a run for the money for top fly in the small stream box

      Delete