Friday, January 3, 2014

A snowy friday

Junco in the snow


We are sitting under a blanket of new snow and the thermometer is hovering around 10F.  I enjoy mornings like these; watching the birds at the feeders, some hot coffee, and some reading.  Then it's out in the snow to clear off the driveway and sidewalks.   I will probably spend the afternoon doing a few odd jobs around the house and maybe some winter tying.








Here are a few shots of the birds at the feeders this morning...

Cardinal and Junco sharing the feeder

A tufted titmouse

I will be tying more large articulated streamers this winter for fishing next year.  Some late fall success with these meaty offerings has me wanting to fish these more in the coming year.   Shown below is a super-sized version of Kelly Gallop's barely legal that should draw some attention! I also hope to tie a few classic wets as well in the coming months.


Top fly is the super-sized version complete with Fish Skulz head.
The fly on the bottom is one I purchased from Feather-Craft

13 comments:

  1. Mark
    I hope you guys don't lose power--beautiful images---I really like the streamers. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, we are staying warm!

      Delete
  2. Mark ! I know just where to test drive that large streamer!! Very Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pete, I'll give you a test model to try out, I have a couple spots in mind myself :)

      Delete
  3. Love the birds man. Thanks for sharing. I think, as fly fishermen, it seems like a natural progression to bid watching after a while. I started last year and I have really enjoyed it. Nice streamers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J and M - to be a good fly fisherman you need to be a good observer and so.it is very natural (love the pun) to be an observer of all of nature.

      Delete
  4. Good evening Mark. I follow your blog along with Small Streams and Fishing Through Life. I was wondering if you could tie some flies for me to try down here in Florida for bluegill? I think they would work well, but would like to try some test flies before investing in materials. Let me know how much it would cost. Thank you, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James - send me an email and we can discuss

      Delete
  5. Hi Mark. I tried to send an email through your profile and I wasn't able to. Something to do with the client not being installed. I am not a tech person. Is there another way to send an email to you? Of the three blogs I follow, your is the only one that I get through due to the anonymous profile choice. Thank you, James

    ReplyDelete
  6. James - try copying my email address from my profile into your regular email application. If you are still having problems leave your email contact here and I will connect with you. Hope this works

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mark. Your email address doesn't show up in your profile. It's a link that says "email me." Here is my email. hayesfamily09@embarqmail.com Thank you for getting back. James

    ReplyDelete