Monday, January 20, 2014

Fishing Dries in January?

The forecast for today looked like it was going to be the warmest day of the week, so plans were made to met Alan on a favorite small stream.  We had planned to meet around the warmest part of the day and I was hoping to find a trout or two willing to take a stonefly off the surface.

I started off with the pinkie and managed to cox a small brook trout out from under a brush pile.  It wasn't long before Alan spotted a fish taking something off the surface.  He put on a bomber and had a few swipes, I fished a #18 elk hair caddis with a peacock herl body.  That fly managed to fool a handful of brook trout before things went quite.  I took the water temp and was surprised to see it read 39F which might explain the willingness of the trout to be looking up.  So for now the streak is still alive with another month in the logbook taking trout on the dry.

11 comments:

  1. Any brookie is a good brookie. I had some takers on an old CDC fly (#22) resembling the snowshoe on Sunday, but nothing to hand. I tied up some comparaduns for next time; (#16) and am thinking of trying to make some in a much smaller size, possibly incorporating CDC. congratulations on the January-brookie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SW. Those comparisons should work out nicely. This time of year there are a lot of small black stoneas. Try something with a dark body and very slender around a size 18..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was good tossing a few dries with you yesterday. Looks like it will be a spell before we have the chance to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan - yes, it's always rare treat to catch fish looking up for dries in the winter time! Until next time, take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats on the streak Mark!!! Should do well in February too!! Those little stone flies will be out and about!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. Dry flies are still my favorite way to fish even in January!

      Delete
  6. Mark
    I have to admit that I am a dry fly fisherman most of the time, even in the winter months. Congrats on fishing the dry with success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Bill, it can be a challenge when the water temps are below 40 though!

      Delete
  7. I like the elk hair caddis with peacock herl body as well, seems to do well especially during the winter and early spring. Nicely done Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LQN - I just got the idea one day watching early black stones come off and thought that a slender peacock body and some dark comparadun hair would make a nice dry. I'm sure people have tied it before but I love doing a little improvising and it seems to be a good winter dry. I'll will do a post on some new (to me) small stream flies I've been playing around with this year in a couple days

      Delete
  8. I took one on a hairs ear of all things last weekend. Hard to beat dry fishing in january, kinda just makes you chuckle at life inside when it happens. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete