Saturday, February 1, 2014

A little scouting

This morning Alan, Kirk, and I met up to do a little scouting.  I was hoping the that warmer temperatures predicted would open things up a bit.  The first stream we visited was still ice bound due to the hemlock and hard wood forest the stream runs through.  Although it did look encouraging, at least in our imaginations !

The stream running over a small ledge, is there a pool at the bottom?

Alan and I stopped at another stream and fished a bit without too much interest.  I did have a small brook trout grab the pinkie a couple times but did not get the hook in it's mouth.  I stopped by a deep hole and there was a little open water in the middle and I saw a nice sized fish on station.  It did take the pinkie twice, but I wasn't able to set the hook.  I tried a small black bugger along the ice ledge and it came back again for a third time but again I could not set the hook.  Actually, I'm not sure I could have landed it and released it safely with the amount of shelf ice along the stream bank.

I stopped at a third stream on the way home.  It also looked very inviting.  The ice made fishing it very tough but I will back again in the spring to really check it out.  As I was leaving I noticed a small osprey perched in a tree above the stream looking for some dinner.

Another good looking stream for a warmer day

10 comments:

  1. Tomorrow might be better. At least I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RML - There is a lot of ice still on the streams. It is going to take a few days with some warm nights or some rain before thing thaw.

      Delete
  2. Mark,
    Looks like it's going to be some time before we can "really" fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan - A few warmer days and nights and a good rain should thaw things out a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, got inspired by Saturday's warming temps, but, like you, found the headwaters heavily blanketed. Scouting was fun. You saw an osprey (cool!); I followed animal tracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - guess we will have to wait for a little more of a thaw. The ice I saw was pretty thick and we still have a good bit of winter left

      Delete
  5. Sunday was a spring like day!! Just a taste!! Today we are right back into the winter wonderland!! Hopefully all the snow will result in good flows later in the year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - let's hope so, the one small stream we were on looked a bit low

      Delete
  6. Mark
    The beauty in these streams should not be overlooked come spring. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete