Saturday, March 22, 2014

Afternoon stone flies

Yesterday afternoon I went to check in on a the trout management area.  These are the only areas open to fishing in CT until the season opens in mid April.  Water levels were very low and clear, which surprised me bit given all the snow we've had this winter (most is gone now) and some rain a couple days ago.

A few of these guys were in the air this afternoon
My plan was to euro nymph a couple areas and then see if I could find an odd riser taking stoneflies off the surface.  I did manage a good sized brown nymphing a deep run with a bead head pheasant tail and partridge soft hackle.  Moving upstream a bit, I was able to fool another good sized brown twitching a black version of the same fly.  I like using the black pheasant tail soft hackles in the spring when the early stoneflies are hatching.  I did spot the odd riser here and there and had a couple brief hookups but nothing to hand.  Then I spotted a brown crush a stone fly across from me, so I tried the peacock and elk hair caddis with no interest until I started fishing it down stream and giving it a little movement. Apparently that was the ticket and another brown was in net.  The first fish on a dry this month keeping my streak alive through another winter.  Despite the long cold winter, I think the calendar is correct, spring is here!

A nice brown that grabbed the black pheasant tail soft hackle

11 comments:

  1. Nice outing Mark. The stones were out, and you took some beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alan, we are starting to see more of them around. The ones I saw yesterday had a darker brown underside. I think I will tie a few dries with a brown pheasant tail body as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that brown is fat! Nice to hear your finally getting the weather. im going to get on the vice and get busy tying a few nymphs, youve inspired me.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col - thanks, if you look and the front fins you will notice they are small and beat up. Recent stockie! A black or brown pheasant tail with some partridge in front work well this time of year when there are lot of swimming stonefly nymphs

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Heavy yes but the front fins indicate a recently stocked fish.

      Delete
  5. Nice one Mark. Thanks for sharing buddy.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard - thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark
    I'm glad you guys are finally getting over a brutal winter and spring is headed your way. That is really a nice brown--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bill. Winter doesn't want leave! More snow in the forecast this week

    ReplyDelete