Sunday, March 9, 2014

March dreams

This week I have been looking at last year's log book and remembering some wonderful afternoons and dreaming of more of the same this month.

One particular late march afternoon with the air temperature pushing well into the 50's and the water still quite cold, I arrived at a favorite pool.  After some time observing from a downstream location, I could see a couple fish rising.  From the small dimpled rises, it appeared that the fish were taking small midges in the surface film.  This was exactly what I had hoped to find, so I quickly tied on a #20 Griffth's Gnat, one of my favorite small flies and slowly eased into casting position.  The small midge manged to fool a nice wild brown and then another.  After releasing the second trout, I noticed a black stone fly on my waders so I switched to a peacock and elk hair caddis and brought a third wild brown to hand before I needed to return home.  I remember leaving that afternoon satisfied to have found some nice rising fish.  I also remember leaving the pool with more fish rising and wishing that I could have stayed for another hour or two.

A nice wild brown that took the Griffith's Gnat


The memory of afternoons like that one beckon me to the same stretch of stream each march when the days start to warm up.  So with temperature rising into the 50's by late morning yesterday, I headed back again.  But while the air temperatures were warm, there was still a good bit of snow on the ground and the river was surprisingly low.  Yesterday there were no insects on the water and no rising fish.  I am sure that there will be fishing rising to take midges and stone flies in that same location again this year but perhaps it will be a few weeks later than last year so for now I will keep dreaming...

8 comments:

  1. Let's hope all this white stuff will be gone soon. I'm usually on the water by now chasing trout. A good melt can't come soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Passinthru - I would guess that we will see a delay in when things bloom and when hatches occur this spring!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful fish. I can't wait to see one up close again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Compared to last year, the action will probably be delayed for a while on most streams in our region, but I'm thankful that the thaw has been gradual so far, diminishing the likelihood of floods. Good luck with those little flies this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Walt, saw you were into some midging trout over the weekend, very nice

      Delete
  4. Mark
    The Gnat is one of my favorite flies for rising fish. I wish you guys could get some of the warm weather we have had today and tomorrow. Both days in the 70's ---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - the days will be warm again soon enough. There is still a good bit of snow on the ground but the air feels and smells like spring is on the way.

      Delete