Saturday, April 26, 2014

A brief window

This morning the rain was coming down pretty steady but the weatherman said we might have a window of dry weather in the afternoon before more rain moved in later.  I left the house in a pretty steady rain trusting in the forecast and a look at the radar and drove up to the Farmington river.  


In the first location I didn't get any interest but did see lots of Dutchman's Breetches blooming. I am seeing more and more wildflowers bloom with each trip out.  The water temp still hasn't it 50 so the Hendrickson's haven't started yet but I did see lots of olives.  

With a few hours left to fish, I headed upriver to a favorite spot I haven't fished since the fall.  There was a healthy flow and I started seeing lots of olives coming off, although I only saw one fish rise.  I was nymphing with a large weighed hare's ear on point and my favorite olive nymph, the bead head pheasant tail soft hackle, as the dropper.  I quickly hooked two fish on the dropper and snapped the tippet knot on both fish, where I leave a tag end for the dropper.  The third knot held and I had a long tussel with a bulldog of a brown that didn't want to quit.

the best brown of the afternoon, gold elastomer behind the left eye
I worked a short stretch of river and managed some nice browns in the 16"-18" and a odd rainbow as well as a handful of brief hookups.  Most off the fish took the pheasant tail but one brown took the hare's ear and one of the misses was on the point fly as well.  By the time I got home it was raining again.  I wasn't sure how the day was going to turn out, but I was thankful for a couple peaceful hours on the river this afternoon.

the last brown of the day


16 comments:

  1. Definitely worth dodging the showers for Mark, cracking brownies there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian, that first brown was this year's best for me so far

      Delete
  2. Nice going. Browns look to be well adapted.
    I was up that way Friday and saw a lot of anglers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - all the browns from that spot were strong, they wintered very well. Not so many people out Sat, especially in the am, damp conditions aren't great for people but the fish don't seem to care!

      Delete
  3. Mark
    Those are some outstanding browns on the pheasant tail, I assume the olive color is one you tied? One can't go wrong with the dropper setup on any tailrace. I am also with the combo you were using. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - the standard natural pheasant tail with a couple turns of partridge is what I use when I see olives. Best nymph pattern there is hands down! I use a heavier anchor fly when Euro nymphing so I use either a hare's ear 12 or a green caddis puppa #10. Both anchors use lead free wire or ribbon on the hook and a tungsten bead to get the flies down quickly. I use a 10ft 4wt (Cabela's CZN outfit). Hope that answers your questions.

      Delete
    2. Beautiful fish. It's great you got out yesterday. I guess I'll have to try the Farmy in the spring.

      Delete
  4. Thanks RKM, it was a good afternoon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Those are some beautiful browns. My hats off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kiwi. I think I was in the right spot at the right time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome report! We were fishing the Farmington this past weekend as well and did okay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Presenting the fly - thanks guys, maybe we will run into each other sometime! I see on your blog a link to Risen Fly, Ryan has some high quality stuff for a very reasonable price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly does. This weekend we actually had the chance to test out the Risen ITB rod and were both pleasantly surprised and impressed with its performance.

      Delete
    2. Really like my 3/4 Ichthus reel !

      Delete
  9. Nice outing there, Mark, and catches to boot. Sometimes we just have to open that small window of opportunity and see what's out there while we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Walt! I guess I just hit it at the right time

      Delete