Wednesday, April 23, 2014

One if by land, two if by sea?

So what does reference to Paul Revere's midnight ride during the American revolution have to do with fishing?  Well it's a bit of a joke around our house this time of year.  My wife and daughters think it's funny that a grown man gets excited over the annual arrival of an insect.  They giggle as the repeat "the Hendrickson's are coming!, the Hendrickson's are coming!

Well, I do look forward to the time when the Hendrickson's appear because experience has taught me that these large mayflies offer some of the best dry fly fishing of the season, especially if you are on the water when a decent spinner fall is in progress.  They haven't appeared yet but I'll be ready and waiting.

Some comparaduns, wets, rusty spinners, and rusty spinners with a yellow egg sacks

4 comments:

  1. Comparaduns are my favorite. soon, soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LQN - mine too, have them in all colors and sizes!

      Delete
  2. I love tossing emergers during the start of the hatch, but it's all fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kierran - I love starting with wets pre-hatch, emergers during, wets after, and then spinners. Makes for a great all-day outing

    ReplyDelete