Saturday, April 19, 2014

Opening Day 2014

The trout season officially opened in CT today.  In years past, I've opted to stay at home since  I don't enjoy the crowds or watching buckets full of fish taken from the rivers. Alan and I thought it would be far more enjoyable to mark the opening of the small streams, which have been closed since the end of February, by fishing a tiny wild trout stream tucked away from all the opening day attention.  This morning had the typical New England chill of a spring morning but the bright sun quickly began to warm to earth.  Alan and I met along the stream and Kirk was able to join us for some late morning fishing.



I was fishing a bead head pheasant tail soft hackle and had a couple small trout on briefly but that was it.  We decided to take a break and enjoy the warm sun, some coffee, muffins, and conversation.  After a little break, Kirk needed to head home and Alan I decided to head to another location.




In one long deep pool, I managed a couple of smaller brook trout on the pheasant tail and then made the decision to fish the rest of the afternoon with a dry fly.  I chose one of my favorites, the Royal Wulff.  For the next couple hours, it was as if I was out on an early summer afternoon where the brook trout slash at dries with abandon.  Quite a few gorgeous little fish were brought to hand along with a few more sizeable ones as well.  It was a wonderful afternoon of fishing that went a long way toward putting the memory of a long winter to bed.


The last and best fish of the afternoon

My favorite way to fish, a 5'9" 3wt and a Royal Wulff!

Wishing each of you and your families a wonderful Resurrection Sunday !

12 comments:

  1. It was great fishing with you guys yesterday.
    Nice brook trout Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - Always a pleasure fishing with you and Kirk and good call on where to "open" the season properly!

      Delete
  2. Mark
    Beautiful brooks on an awesome looking stream. What size Wulff were you using? I am also impressed with your selection of fishing equipment. One can beat the Orvis fly reel. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, I usually fish a size 14 or 12. Yesterday I think I was using a #12. Even though this are small fish they will still attack a large fly like a royal

      Delete
  3. Beautiful fish Mark!! Good to see you guys got out!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete, it was good to get out in some actual spring conditions! I hear you did pretty well on the Farmington yesterday!

      Delete
  4. Great stuff Mark, a perfect way to start the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian, things are finally starting to get started over on this side

      Delete
  5. Your idea to fish a small beautiful like that one seems to have paid off handsomely. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kiwi - it was a lovely afternoon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice brookies Mark, the royal wulf in that trouts mouth just looks so fitting .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col - It is amazing what those little guys can get in their mouths!

      Delete