Saturday, May 3, 2014

A beautiful spring afternoon

The lady of the forest (red trillium)
This afternoon was another beautiful New England spring afternoon.  I met Alan and Kirk to spend a couple hours along a favorite woodland stream.  The wildflowers are really starting to bloom now that the days are getting warmer.  This afternoon I noticed wood anemone, bellwort, ginseng, and trillium in bloom.

Wood Anemone
A wild brook trout in cold clear water

This interesting brook trout has no red spots on it's flank
The brook trout are definitely looking up these days and very anxious to chase down my Royal Wulff.  By the time I finished it was pretty tattered.  It was fun watching the brook trout launch themselves on the Wulff sometimes completely missing the fly and leaping over it.

Ginseng


Bellwort 

A darker colored brook trout, the biggest of the afternoon



By the end of the day, I wanted to see if I could entice a brown to the dry, so I headed further downstream where the browns are more abundant and managed a nice one in a long riffle.


A healthy wild brown to finish off the afternoon

After a long, cold winter these are the days we were all looking forward to, so for now I will thankfully take some long deep breaths of spring.

This is my Father's world 
and to my listening ears
all nature sings, and round me rings
The music of the spheres

This is my Father's world,
I rest me in the thought
of rocks and trees of skies and seas
His hand the wonders wrought

This is my Father's world
the birds their carols raise
the morning light, the lilly white
declare their maker's praise

This is my Father's world
He shines in all that's fair
in the rustling grass, I hear Him pass
He speaks to me everywhere!

16 comments:

  1. looks like a fun outing, nice fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RLM - yes it was, my soul needed some fresh air!

      Delete
  2. A great time of the year Mark, beautiful trout and wild flowers, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian - thanks, yes it is. This year I am trying to take it all in before the season pass into memory

      Delete
  3. Mark,
    Great fishing with you again.
    Wonderful photos all. That stream is seemingly becoming a brown hot spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - It's always a pleasure to fish we other who enjoy the simplicity of small stream fishing. I ventured quite a bit further downstream to find the brown, I think the brook trout still rule where we were

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the picture of the Wood Anemone, I've seen them blooming the last couple weeks in the fields alongside a nice WTMA in Scotland, but I had no idea what they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SW - Love trying to figure out what the wild flowers are. There are several different subspecies of Anemone and you will see some variation in the leaves. They are dominating the woodlands this time of year!

      Delete
  5. Not everyone see's the nature around us, nice call buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard - I am trying to be more aware these days!

      Delete
  6. Looks like you had a great day !!! Brookies appear to be fat and well fed. Nice job Mark!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - it was a wonderful afternoon made better with good company and yes the woodlands and the brook trout are both doing well.

      Delete
  7. Mark
    You know you are fishing one of my favorite dries and this post is making wish I could make it out to our local tailrace to wet a dry, but too much generation, hopefully next week. Awesome images and great post, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill - we are in the same boat, lots of water flowing as the local water authorities dump excess water in their dams after heavy rain last week.

      Delete
  8. Mark - you captured the beauty of fun of small stream fishing perfectly. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LQN - glad you enjoyed the pictures

      Delete