Friday, May 23, 2014

A brief afternoon out

Small stream fishing is all about keeping it simple
It has not been easy finding some time to get out between the rain we've been having and other commitments.  I did try to fish the Farmington river this past Monday afternoon but a significant increase in the water being released from the dam between when I left home and when I arrived, pretty much shut things down for the afternoon.

There was a brief window before more thunderstorms rolled in so I headed to a small brook close to home.  I love the simplicity of fishing small streams with just a few things in my pockets.  The skies were grey and the forest damp and quiet but full of the fragrance of spring.

I was expecting to see more water in the brook given the rain we've had the last week but it was a lot lower than I expected.  It wasn't long before I spotted a couple of rises and after changing to a small Adams parachute, I was soon holding the first of a number of small brook trout.




I saw quite a few yellow stone flies and an odd Hendrickson here and there.  About mid afternoon, I switched to a  tan elk hair caddis since it was the closest thing I had to the yellow stone flies I was seeing.  It worked pretty well but I did not find any of the larger trout this brook can sometimes give up.

In addition to fishing, I enjoyed photographing some of the wildflowers that are currently blooming.  Several varieties of violets were evident as were some pink lady slippers.  I don't see these wild orchids too often so it was nice to see a couple of them in bloom.

Blue violet
Pink lady slipper

12 comments:

  1. Mark
    Spring is my favorite time of the year not only for the fantastic fishing and all the new growth this season produces. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. Seems like eveytime I go out there is something new blooming.

      Delete
  2. Mark that stream has some beautiful brookies.
    Nice outing buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan - thanks, there are some nicely colored brook trout in that part of "brook trout forest". It was nice to get out and stretch the legs. I was home for about 90min before the skies opened up and water was coming down in buckets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice brookies Mark, the blue violet is a little gem too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian - lots of tiny wildflowers blooming these days. I've always had a love for beauty in minature

      Delete
  5. I'm glad that you had some time to fish. The fish and flowers look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirk. Hope you are getting out some too!

      Delete
  6. Nice brookies.....and I really like the selections in your fly box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiwi. Time to update with Spring/Summer flies!

      Delete
  7. Simple and wonderful, Mark. It's great to be out there on the little streams this time of year, and finding those Moccasin flowers is pretty cool, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - Yes, there is so much to observed and experience in the woodlands this time of year.

      Delete