Thursday, May 8, 2014

A more subtle approach


A carpet of  anemone
Another beautiful spring day in New England today.  I had hoped to fish the Farmington River today but with last week's rains, the reservoir is full and they have been dumping a lot of water out of the dam, so I opted to fish a small stream today.

I started out fishing the Royal Wulff again, but only small fish were interested in following it.  I also noticed a few of the larger brook trout follow it and then turn away.  After seeing a few smaller stone flies flying about, I switched to a #18 parachute Adams.  The small Adams quickly attracted the attention of a nice handsome wild brown and lots of beautiful brook trout for most of the afternoon.  Later in the afternoon I switched to a dark elk hair caddis and was drifting in through some roots when a decent sized trout took the fly.  I tried to quickly steer it away from the roots but crafty trout was able to use current and roots to it's advantage.

A handsome wild brown that took the parachute Adams

I never tire of holding and observing these amazingly beautiful fish


A nice secure hiding spot 
Late in the afternoon, I decided to head to a more overgrown section of stream in search of some larger browns.  In the first run I landed a nice brook trout.  As I worked the elk hair caddis in all the seams I did briefly hook a few browns that were quickly off.  I worked downstream to a deep run that I knew from experience has a couple good places for trout to hold.  Sure enough, drifting the caddis produced three brief tangles with some decent browns.



I really enjoy an afternoon walk along woodland brook.  These times give me the chance to put the busy, scheduled-to-the-moment, life aside and experience once again a deeper reality.  One in which I am not the center of the universe but simply a part of a massively bigger reality.  The songbird’s song, the fragrance of earth, the sunlight dancing on flowing water all speak an unheard but still intelligible language that points to an awesome God who created this vast but infinitely detailed universe.  The wildflowers remind me that God even dresses the tiny things in this world with a beauty that is unique.  The robin’s nest and the tiny young of the year brook trout remind me that He sustains life from year to year. In the words of Jesus "Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil or spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.  But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow in thrown into the over, how much more will he cloth you!"


A little colony of bellwort at the the base of a tree


Beauty in miniature...




16 comments:

  1. I never ire of looking at these Brookies , some lovely fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Col - they are beautiful

      Delete
  2. great post Mark, enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Brian, glad you enjoyed it

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. RML - This time of year wonderful color is everywhere

      Delete
  4. I see the stream and the trout are doing well. That means you are doing as well if not better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - yes everything is very good on both accounts!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a beautiful day on the stream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes it was Kiwi. Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolute stunning images of Mother Nature at her best this time of year; those brown trout are in top form with some amazing colors. I have found trout in a tailrace can’t compare in color with wild brooks and browns. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - You are spot on! That's why we search for them. Comparing wild trout to stocked ones is like trying to compare home grown tomatoes with the strip-mined ones the sell in the grocery stores

      Delete
  8. Thanks Richard although our waters are not as fertile as yours and so the trout don't grow as large but still as lovely

    ReplyDelete