Saturday, June 28, 2014

Afternoon with some friends

Beautiful late June afternoon on the Farmington
What a great afternoon Pete (aka TROUTI), Alan (aka Brk Trt), and I had on the Farmington yesterday.  I'm smiling now even as I drink some coffee and plan the work ahead for today.

Before we met, I stopped to do some nymphing at a location I had not fished since last fall.  I fished for about 90 minutes and managed a handful of pretty rainbows of all shapes and sizes.  I tied into what looked like a big brown that was sitting underneath some heavy riffles.  As soon as I set the hook, it headed downstream like an out of control roller coaster.   I manged to turn it around and hang on for a couple strong runs before it had had enough of me, came to the surface, flipped its tail as if to say "see you later!", spit the fly, and proceeded to rocket downstream again.


After we met, we fished a couple locations together.  Pete and I ended up moving to another spot that I've done well at the last couple trips but blanked yesterday nymphing.  Pete managed a few on sulfur dries, although he says he missed quite a few being rusty fishing dries.  

I moved again around 6mp since Pete was getting ready to head home and nothing was happening where we were.  From 6pm to 9pm it was a mixed bag of browns and rainbows on blue quill and olive comparaduns, and the usual when the sulfurs made their reappearance.  I hooked a strange looking brown at one point in the evening that had a distinct blueish/green color to it.  I tried to grab a picture but in the low light, I didn't get a good shot off but I think you can sort of see the color on this odd fish.  It was obviously a stocked fish.

A "blue" brown trout?
I stuck with the usual as the fish turned to spinners and still did well as the fading light turned to dark.  Fran Betters certainly designed a great fly for fishing during a sulfur hatch and spinner fall.  I was catching fish fishing it on top as a dry as well as swinging it like a wet fly.

10 comments:

  1. It was nice to get out and fish the Farmy with you and Brk Trt !!! We even caught a few fish!!! Til next time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - nice fishing with you again, it's been a while!

      Delete
  2. Hey buddy it was a good outing. Nice to see Pete again.
    The river is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - I think it is safe to say we all enjoyed the afternoon. The river and the weather were very pleasant for sure as was the company!

      Delete
  3. Nice river picture. It's so inviting! Thanks for sharing bud!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul - thanks, the Farmington is a gorgeous river and it would be easy to spend a day just taking pictures of it

      Delete
  4. Interesting colour on that Brown, but those are not uncommon this side of the big pond. More of the Scottish genes that the German I think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truttablog - thanks for your response, it's interesting to know that this might be a strain difference as opposed to a "one off" occurrence.

      Delete
  5. Mark
    Beautiful colors on those trout, I wish our rainbow here were a little more colorful; but I guess I should be thankful I have a place to fish for trout in the deep south, especially in Alabama. I will post a trip tomorrow involving the Sipsey rainbow. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill - not all the rainbows up here are as colorful as the first fish but I have seen more of them this year as opposed to the run of the mill stocked rainbows

      Delete