Monday, June 2, 2014

Sunday afternoon

Yesterday afternoon, I had the chance to fish the Farmington River in the northeast corner of CT. Yesterday was a gorgeous Sunday afternoon to be outside with crystal clear skies, warm sunshine, and a gentle breeze.

There were a  few caddis on the water but no rising fish, so I started off nymphing a section of pocket water.  A hefty rainbow took the bead head pheasant tail soft hackle at the end of a deep slot. The fish fought hard in the heavy current. I did managed to get in close a few times but when I applied a little too much pressure the hook popped out.  I got a decent look at it and it was easily the best fish of the day in the 16-18" range and very thick.


After catching a couple browns, I got another surprise with a hefty brook trout of about 14" with a bright burnt orange/red belly that larger brook trout sometimes develop.  The Farmington is known for its big browns and there are plenty of rainbows but, I rarely catch a brook trout.  Most of the fish took the pheasant tail soft hackle with one brown preferring a simple weighted hare's ear nymph.

A hefty colorful Farmington brook trout

Late afternoon I headed to my final destination of the afternoon to see if a hatch would materialize.  As the sun set behind the hills, I could see fish taking something small in the film but the rises were sporadic and I could not see what the fish were taking so I opted to fish a team of wet flies through the sporadic rises.  I took another rainbow on a hare's ear soft hackle and a brown on the bead head pheasant tail soft hackle before things settled down and I decided to head for home.

The second rainbow of the afternoon 

The sun beginning to dip below the surrounds hills

6 comments:

  1. Excellent trout all around but that brookie is spectacular! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Chris! I was sure surprised when I got the first good glimpse of it

      Delete
  2. Nice afternoon indeed.
    Any sulphurs around?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alan - I didn't see any but I didn't stay late

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark
    You are so lucky have this great tailrace near you. I wish we had the browns in our tailrace here, only rainbow. I assume you were fishing the beadhead as the drop fly and the wets above? Those are some nice trout especially the brook trout. I am going to continue to work with wets on the tailrace here. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill thanks. I use the bead head pheasant tail as the point fly since it is heavier and the hare's ear was tied off the tag end of the tipped about 18" above the point fly. I was swinging them on a tight line but mending to keep a shallow angle so that the flies didn't swing too fast. I would recommend Dave Hughes "Wet Flies" or Syl Nemes book "Soft-Hackled Fly" for more info on fishing these flies.

      Delete