Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Adirondacks - Part I

Wood sorrel was everywhere
I just got back from a trip to Adirondack Mountains.  This was the first time this year that I had the chance to fish some of the mountain brooks.

My first trip out, I was up early hiking into a mountain valley by 6:30 am.  The brook was a bit high for this time of year. The Adirondacks have been getting a lot of rain this season so I was not surprised to hear and eventually see the normally tannin stained brook carrying a bit more water and color than normal. A quick check of the water temp showed it about 67F.

This brook is filled with large boulders and plunge pools
the dark brook trout that inhabit this tannin stained brook


This high gradient brook is easily fished upstream, allowing one to keep a low profile hopping along from boulder to boulder.  This is simple fishing at it's best.  Hiking boots, a few Ausable Bombers and Royal Wulffs in a small tin, some extra mono, some floatant, and a camera.  Traveling light you can cover a lot of water looking for the deeper pockets where the larger fish are usually found.

Morning sun beginning peaking through the forest

Endless plunge pools

Quite a few small brook trout slashed at the dries I fished, although the Royal Wulff always seems to draw the most attention on Adirondack Mountain brooks in my experience.  Most of the fish where in the top half of the pools rather than in the slower tails.  This stream usually holds a decent number of larger fish but they were not showing themselves this day.  Hopefully the harshness of this past winter hasn't taken it's toll on this mountain brook.

This brook trout  liked the look of an Ausable Bomber
Another resident of the Adirondack forests

12 comments:

  1. Nice going Mark. You caught the pleasant spirit of Adirondack brookie fishing in summer. Good photos of the little guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Walt, my favorite type of fishing

      Delete
  2. Mark,
    Looks like the stream I fished the other day. Those brookies are simply beautiful. There is nothing like them.
    I also like the concept of fishing light.
    Well done friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan - When I saw your last post, my first thought was how the two streams looked amazingly similar even those many miles removed from one another. I visited another stream last week that with 2miles from the stream above in a different valley that was complete different in terms of the rocks that make up the stream bed and the clarity of the water (will post some pictures in a day or two).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark - wonderful pictures, I wish I had gotten out on a small stream while I was there. next time. It's incredible how orange those newts are...I have yet to come across one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LQN. I see those newts all the time in the south/central Adirondacks.

      Delete
  5. Put simply......I'm jealous. It's been a couple of years since I have had a chance to go upstate and visit the Adirondacks. I really need to get up there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi - Hope you are able to get up to the mountains soon! I'm very fortunate to be able to get up there as often as I do

      Delete
  6. Mark
    This is one of the pretties’ streams you have fished; really impressed with the pool sections. It is amazing how the brook trout go after those dries. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bill - the Adirondacks have a lot of wild beauty to them and many streams/brooks with a lot of gradient that provide a lot of plunge/pool combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Stuff Mark!!!! Love the scenic photos!!!

    ReplyDelete