Saturday, July 12, 2014

Another Farmy Friday

A new one to me, purple loosestrife?
Another good afternoon on the Farmington River yesterday.  I started around 1 PM Euro nymphing in a nice deep run where the river funnels down into a narrow channel.  About half way down the run I tied into something big.  After a number of strong runs, I was able to get the fish out of the heavy current and got a good look at a huge rainbow.  I managed get her in the net but she barely fit in.  As I was getting ready to take a picture she easily flopped out of the net and was on her way.  When I got home I measured the bag of the net and figure she was a conservative 20" long and very wide.  Guess I may need to look into a net with a bigger bag!  I landed another brown further down the run and a couple of small salmon.  All the fish took the #12 super simple anchor.

About 3 PM I headed upriver to another location and nymphed there and picked up some smaller (wild?) browns. One took the #12 super simple and two on a small DDT that I was using as a dropper.  For kicks I put on a #12 Stimulator and sent it along the bank, as the fly passed over a deeper slot I saw a big dark brown come off the bottom and follow it for about 6ft and then nose it and turn away.  I waited a little, and tried again.  Again the fish followed it, this time a little further out into the current as it began to swing at the end of the drift but again nudged it but didn't take it.  The brown had turned twice on the Stimulator and I didn't want to drift it over him again so I waited a bit and took a look at my fly box to consider my next move.  I figured something a little smaller but still big and maybe not as bright as the yellow Stimulator might be the best approach.  That's when my eyes turned to the Ausable bomber.  I figured the size 14 bomber was just about right.  On the first drift the brown came up again, followed the bomber for a little and then took it.  I over-reacted and end up snapping the fly off the 5x tippet like it was attached with spider silk.  While I was certainly disappointed in not hooking the fish, you have to count your victories in this game and I was pleased my strategy and patience had paid off even though I didn't seal the deal.

Ran across this guy in my travels


A couple of pretty browns that took the nypmhs

About 5 PM I headed to another section that I have done well nymphing previously and came up empty. Encouraged by the previous experience with the Stimulator, I gave it a few drifts and picked up another brown that nailed it as I twitched and skated it in a seam behind a boulder.  

One of the browns that took the Stimulator late in the day

I finished the afternoon in a different location waiting to see what would happen around dark. As I waited for the end of the day, I put the Stimulator on again and fished it through some pocket water.  I had a couple brief hookups and landed one nice brown.  As the daylight began to fade quite a few tan caddis were around and the fish were starting to get active.  I took one fish fishing a wingless wet fly and then finished with a tan elk hair caddis. Another gentlemen, who I have meet here before, and I did pretty well fishing caddis dries til dark.  As we were leaving the river, we finally had an opportunity to introduce ourselves.  I love meeting folks on the river and shaking hands in the dark seemed a fitting way to end another lovely afternoon on the Farmington.

8 comments:

  1. Mark
    Another fantastic trip on the Framington. I have a feeling there are very few fly fishermen who consistently land trout on this tailrace and you are the exception. I have found that a tailrace can be a killer to fish if one doesn't know where the fish hold and the most productive flies. I know it is true for the tailrace I fish here, many fishermen are turned away without a fish taken. Beautiful trout, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, Thanks for your comments but many fisherman are far more expert then me for sure. I have over the last couple seasons gathered a set of flies that I am confident with under different conditions by learning from others and experimenting some myself. Now I try to build off that base of knowledge. It just takes observation and time.

      Delete
  2. I love purple loosestrife, in fact I have it now in my garden beside my river. I gathered some heads in seasons past when fishing. We anglers sure have a wonderful environment to angle in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard - It is a lovely wildflower and the first time I've run acrossed it. Over here it is considered a European invasive so taking seeds home I think would be frowned upon.

      Delete
  3. Excellent day on the river, Mark, and the use of different strategies to ensure success. Purple loosestrife will be a big invasive plant problem, if it isn't already. Nice in small quantities, but watch out. Which reminds me of the gypsy moth caterpillar (I think it is). Of late, it hasn't been a problem around here, but I remember years when it made the summer foliage look like late November around here. Anyway, thanks for the good report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - thanks for the info on the caterpillar and the loosestrife. I haven't seen much loosetrife around here so I guess it hasn't gained much of a foot-hold around here.

      Delete
  4. Nicely done Mark on a variety of methods. Always good to be versatile. Beautiful trout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LQN - thanks. My nymphing has definitely improved this year but I still like fishing dries at dark the best !

    ReplyDelete