Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Summertime


Summertime is certainly here.  The wildflowers in the meadows are blooming like crazy and the days are long, hot, and humid.  I ventured out to a small stream on Sunday afternoon hoping to find some decent flows from some shower activity we had the week before but water levels were disappointingly low.  I tossed a dry in some of the deeper spots but there only interest from some of the smaller brookies so I called quits and headed home.

Yesterday afternoon I headed up to the Farmington river after work.  Flows in the Farmington have been up from their usual late July levels.  My guess is that the local water authority is draining some excess capacity from the reservoir that feeds the upper river.  Good flows of cold water are hard to find around here this time of year.  My plan was to euro nymph a spot that I haven't fished in a while and then move up river later to see if I could find some sort of hatch and maybe a spinner fall at dark.

In the first spot I managed a nice rainbow on a bead head pheasant tail soft hackle which I was using as a dropper.  This fly has been working very well for me this year on the Euro rig.  I had a lousy hook set on another fish, and long distance released another big rainbow on the PT.


Around 5:30 I moved up river.  After driving by the spot I had in mind I didn't see anyone fishing so I parked and walked in but found another angler there who graciously shared the run with me.  He fished the head of the riffle and I worked the tail.  I picked up a brown on the PT and stung another fish nymphing.  By then there were a number of fish sporadically taking dries.  There was a mix of olives and isonychias coming in alternating waves.

Another brown that took the pheasant tail
I fished an isonychia comparadun and had a few fish flow it or turn on it but no solid takers so I switched to a #18 olive comparadun and took a well colored brown.  I fished the olive for a while but had no more interest.


By then the isonychia were coming off in good numbers so I switched back to the iso comparadun and took half dozen or so rainbows and browns on the iso right up until dark.  I can't think of a better way to fish than tossing big dries late in the day to eager fish.  From what I could see the other gentlemen who was sharing the run with me did quite well also with olives and isonychias.


A Farmington River brown with my Ichthus 3/4 reel from Risen fly on the TFO BVK 8'6" 4wt
As the light began to fade there wasn't much activity.  I saw a few big sulfurs and I did mange one more nice brown on a #16 sulfur comparadun before everything calmed down just before dark.  I didn't see a spinner fall or a decent hatch at dark but between the two of us we caught quite a few trout on dries that made for another good evening of fishing and a new acquaintance.

12 comments:

  1. Nice Mark! lots of trout on the dry, doesn't get better than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LQN - thanks! Fishing dries will always be my favorite way to fish

      Delete
  2. Turned out to be quite a catch experience after all! I'm looking forward to the Isonychia hatch on our local streams, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - one of my favorites too! We are seeing them regularly here and there but they don't generally hatch in numbers but the fish are used to seeing them and don't ignore the chance for a super sized morsal but Tuesday night they were coming off steady for a few hours.

      Delete
  3. Nice trout all around. Seems like it was a very good putting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiwi - it was a very nice evening

      Delete
  4. Way to go!! Nice looking browns and bows there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Pete. I am sure you would have enjoyed the afternoon too

      Delete
  5. That wild flower field looks familiar. I was up that way a week or so and did well in the upper section with brookies.
    I have to get there and take in the beauty of that field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - that field is awash is wildflowers! It's really quite something to see these days with quite a variety of flowers all in bloom. Unfortunately the stream was very low the day I visited

      Delete
  6. Mark
    What a fantastic trip on the Framington; really impressed with the browns and also the combo you were using to land the fish. We are working on getting browns in our tailrace here, I hope it works out. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete