Saturday, August 23, 2014

An Afternoon, an evening, and a morning

touch-me-nots blooming along the river 
Yesterday afternoon was cool and overcast so I headed up to the Farmington River to see if the olives would be out and fish looking up.  I started off the afternoon fishing a yellow stimulator with a bead head pheasant tail as a dropper.  In the first run a nice rainbow took the dropper.  Unfortunately, I had left my net at home but I manged to bring the rainbow to hand and remove the PT with little trouble.  As I continued to work my way downstream I picked up a pretty wild brown on the stimulator.  The brown was more of a handful as most wild fish are.  It just wouldn't hold still long enough for me to remove the hook.



As I walked back to car, I met a gentleman who owns a home along to the river.  He was watching the run I started in.  We had a nice conversation about the river and the logging and mills that used to operate along the river in times past.  He had fished the river as a boy with his father, bought a home along the river and raised his family there, fishing the same stretch with his children.

As the day turned to evening, I headed up river to see if I could find any fish taking olives.  To my surprise there were very few fish rising.  I did mange to fool one brown on a small sulfur comparadun with a snowshoe rabbit wing around dark but that was it.

This morning I decided to get up early see if there would be a  trico spinner fall.  I was up on the river about 6:30am but  there wasn't a lot of activity.  I did manage to fool a wild brown on a #22 trico spinner and another wild brown on #20 rusty spinner before calling it quits.


4 comments:

  1. Excellent pics of the fish especially the browns!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. The little brown in the second picture was a beauty and I found that turning the fish reduced the glare enough to give a better shot.

      Delete
  2. It's good to be open to stories, like that of the local resident, heard along the river while fishing. Thanks for passing this on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walt - knowing a river's history from those who experienced it provides an added sense of connection.

    ReplyDelete