Monday, September 1, 2014

A late summer Adirondack brook in the rain


Sunday morning I woke up to a gentle late summer rain.  The day was a soft mix of grays and greens and the sky was content to live among the valleys and the towering white pine.  These are the days I love to fish small mountain brooks becuase the rain has a way of bringing new life to dry late summer brooks and the dense air seems to make everything seem more quite.



The brook trout were eager to pounce on the Royal Wulff in the heads of almost every riffle.  Some quite dark in color, others light taking on the hue of the orange tinged rock bed, and some starting show hints the color they will wear in the fall.  It was wonderful afternoon to be outside getting wet but drinking in all of God's amazing creation.




The rest can best be said in pictures!








12 comments:

  1. Mark
    Absolute stunning images of some beautiful streams and colorful brooks; what weight fly were you using to land these beauties? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - brook trout like this will take a size 12 Royal Wulff with authority even the tiny ones.

      Delete
  2. what area were you fishing in the adk? I just came back there myself but I didn't hit any small streams, and I'd like to do so next time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam - the southern end of the Adirondack Park in Hamilton County

      Delete
  3. Sometimes even pictures don't do it justice. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi - you are correct, they don't but they do a better job than any words I could put together

      Delete
  4. I also enjoy fishing in a soft rain. The stream looks beautiful as do the brookies.
    I see you were using your glass rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - the rain was very pleasant to be out in and brought the brook up a bit which also helped. I was fishing my glass rod (very observant of you!). I love that little rod for small stream fishing. I am sure a short little bamboo rod would be wonderful but that little glass rod suits me just fine.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Amazing.
    It is really cool how a bit of rain, especially this time of year and early fall can bring a stream to life. It really amazes me, how streams can hold so little water, yet fish survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation - This brook has a pretty decent flow even during the summer so I thought it was a good choice and the early morning showers certainly helped out. Other brooks in the area looked pretty thin so I passed them by

      Delete
  6. I love fishing in the rain. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RML - looks like there are a few of us that enjoy fishing in a gentle.rain

      Delete