Saturday, October 4, 2014

Back at it


It was another nice fall day in Northwestern CT yesterday.  I drove around a bit in the early afternoon taking some pictures.  This is my favorite time of year in New England and it was so nice to be able to see the trees starting to show their fall dress.

Later in the afternoon, I headed to the Housatonic River. I had come to try out some recently tied sulfur parachutes in the expected size and color from observing on my previous trip.  The isos did not make an appearance this afternoon and things were quite early. At one point a large osprey came cruising downstream calling as it flew. Unfortunately my camera wasn't handy as it flew very close and I got a good look at the birds size and wingspan.

There were a few fish sipping olives here and there and I managed one on a small parachute Adams and one on the streamer.  Later in the afternoon the olives started getting some more attention and I picked up another on a #22 snowshoe emerger and stung another.




As the daylight faded the sulfurs show began and I picked up a handful of nice browns on my modified sulfur spinners and parachutes.  But to say I had it all figured out is not completely accurate. The sulfurs last night were a bit smaller and more orange/yellow in color reminding me that rivers change from day to day and there is always a need to observe and adapt.


A couple of nice Housatonic Browns at dark
Hiking out in the October moon light

14 comments:

  1. Those are some really nice browns. This really is the best time of year to get out on the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiwi - my favorite time of year

      Delete
  2. It's a river I seldom fish, but the views especially this time of year are some of the finest in New England.
    Nice post Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. I haven't fished the Housatonic much myself but you are correct, in the fall the surrounding country is picturesque indeed!

      Delete
  3. Looks like another nice day on the river for you. Beautiful conditions and fish. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirk - this is a lovely time of year to get an enjoy

      Delete
  4. Mark
    Beautiful area you were fishing, looks like you guys are about to experience some fantastic fall colors. The leaf added to the brown was the perfect touch. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - the colors are in full fall blooom yet but getting closer every day. The leaf on the brown was not be design but purely by coincidence!

      Delete
  5. You had a nice outing!!! Great scenery and pics of the fish!!! I should have taken the day off!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUTI - thanks, too bad we weren't able to meet up

      Delete
  6. I like the way this post moves from the mellowness of autumn light to that special quality of moonglow through the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Walt, your comments are always appreciated.

      Delete