Friday, October 31, 2014

Good bye to October

The last day of October, and the air felt more like November than October. The trees are losing more of their leaves every day and just the odd golden beech or orange of red maple or oak remain. The days are getting noticeably shorter as November approaches and with the return of eastern standard time, darkness is going to be coming an hour earlier.

It's been a while since I've fished a small stream so plans were made to meet Alan (small stream reflections) on a small stream that he has been exploring.  We walked through stands of hemlocks and mountain laurel in the bottom of a rocky ravine in the dull gray light of the overcast afternoon.

The remnants of an old dam

The landscape was typical of CT with old rock walls running throughout the forest and a stream plunging and tumbling over the rocky earth.  Adding to the sense of familiarity was the company of a friend who also appreciates simplicity of this type of fishing.  



This was an afternoon to fish dries.  I started fishing a mini muddler while Alan fished a bomber and Parachute Rapidan.  Early in the afternoon, I sent the muddler into a long slow pool and we were soon admiring the first nicely colored brook trout of the afternoon.

The first nicely colored brook trout of the afternoon
I fished the muddler for a while and then switched to a Royal Wulff when large sections of pocket water predominated.  The Royal Wulff fooled a handful of good sized brooks.  As the the gray afternoon darkened, I enjoyed a quite walk out among the hemlocks and mountain laurel stopping every now to take a picture or enjoy a view.




A boulder the size of a small house
The last bits of color

19 comments:

  1. Awesome brookies! That stream looks aamazing and the woods around it even better. I believe this is the same stream Alan posted about last week...what a find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RI brook trout - thanks. The stream runs through a forest that has all the features I associate with CT. I was surprised at the size of the brook trout we found all wears the colors of the season.

      Delete
    2. Is this Alan's "brook trout forest"?

      Delete
    3. I think Alan use's that "brook trout forest" generally for all forests where brook trout are found. But you will have to ask him on that one

      Delete
    4. RI brook trout.
      Everywhere these wild jewels are found is "brook trout forest"

      Delete
  2. Great post and pics Mark, enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey buddy, nice brook trout. Glad we were able to hook up. Now we'll have to fish the brook to its source.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for wonderful afternoon. That streams goes quite a ways further than I traveled but that sounds like a worthy endeavor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the scenic photos Mark!!! Looks like you gents had a very good day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. You might say we were doing a little scouting for the coming New Year's day ;)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful brookies Mark. I always find it sad to see the last days of October slip away. You wish it could last forever but then I guess we could never appreciate it the way we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiwi! This year has been of the most colorful falls I can remember. As I was walking back to the car I was feeling like I was saying goodbye to a dear friend for a while knowing we would enjoy each other's company again next fall.

      Delete
  7. Very nice. You guys did much better than I did. Maybe I should stick to brookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you still had fun out in the fall air!

      Delete
  8. Great post, Mark. Love those little streams and their wild, colorful characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Walt - I just can't enough of the fall colors everywhere!

      Delete
  9. Hi, Mark. I have been a regular reader and commenter over on Alan's blog for quite awhile. Finally, needed a double dose of that last trip so thought I would check out your blog. Beautifully done, I will add. I would treasure the waters that you fish and the magnificent little Brookies you have to fish for in your area.

    I am adding your blog to my blogroll and will be back often. Thanks for sharing..................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel - thanks for stopping by! We are blessed to have streams in our area that contain wild brookies and browns. This time of year it's always difficult to decide where to fish!

      Delete