Wednesday, November 5, 2014

November days

A lone yellow maple along the river

November days are here, those gray fall days. Most of the trees have dropped their leaves but there is the odd tree here and there still bearing yellow leaves

Despite the overcast skies and a few small olives in the air no fish were noticing them as far as I could see.  The day was spent with the nymphing rod.  A foam egg behind a heavily weighted anchor fly brought a handful of handsome browns and a pair of rainbows to the net.


Mid day I traded the waders for hiking boots and fished a small tumbling brook.   The brook trout swiped at the Royal Wulff but didn't really take it solidly so a switch was made to a small parachute Adams that brought a couple of camera shy brookies to hand.



8 comments:

  1. Its in these conditions that a river seems almost lifeless. A bit of probing, as you well know, can turn up some of the best fish of the year now. Sounds like a good outing. Farmington or Hous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RM Lytle - this time of year the fishing slows down as the fish get into spawning mode. Be on the watch out for redds everyone and watch where you walk! Farmington this time

      Delete
  2. I have enjoyed many a day on a small stream fishing Parachute Adams for Brook Trout. Often my go to fly for rising Brookies. Thanks for sharing some of your wonderful fish and fall scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mel - my top flies for small stream fishing have to be the parachute Adams, Royal Wulff, the Ausable Bomber, and the mini muddler (two of the three are from Fran Betters). I use woodchuck for the tail of the wulff and the adams so even the other two have a "Betters" influence.

      Delete
  3. Great to see your transition from big water to small. I am a small stream guy myself, and it's amazing to see brookies to rise to a dry...probably one of the best feelings in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RI brook trout - My first love is fishing small streams, the scenery and simplicity really appeal to me. However, fishing larger rivers provides a unique challenge that expands your skill set. I don't think I would have ever learned to Euro nymph or fish big streamers had I not needed these skills to fish effectively on bigger water.

      Delete
  4. Those days are my favorite! Looks like you still have a few nice colors hanging on up there. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David - thanks for stopping by. At this point we have the odd maple here and there that is showing some color. It can still be quite stunning though as some of the trees have a mix of orange, yellow, red, and green against the backdrop of grays and browns.

      Delete