Sunday, December 14, 2014

Dries, Brookies, and December snow


The last post asked the question can you still fish dries in December.  Well, yes you can most days even in snowy New England especially on small streams.  So with the forecast of some warmer weather I headed to a favorite small brook committed to the dry fly game.  A fresh snowfall the night before had the woods looking like a crystal palace as the sun tried to warm the cold earth.



I was hopeful that the several inches of rain we received over the last week would move some of the fish around and have them looking for meal.  When I arrived, the small brook was a bit higher than I expected.  It wasn't long before a small brook took a few swipes at the small parachute Adams. Generally, things were slow but I did bring a few small brooks to hand and missed a couple larger fish.  





12 comments:

  1. Good for you! I got a couple on a Hendrickson today. It was very tough to find some that were willing to rise though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RML - the higher flows are putting a damper on things

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recognize the stream..it's one of my favorites.
    Man do I love those little jewels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful little place you've got here Mark. Reminds me a lot of Brk Trt's place. I love these small streams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - Nice job recognizing the stream. Alan fishes this stream as well

      Delete
  5. Great to see you got them to rise even with the high water and cold temps. Love that picture with the brookie that's still in the water! The first guy has a little gut to him, so this stream must be pretty healthy. Hopefully the big guys don't get away next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RI brook trout - for such a small stream it has surprising depth and stays cool most of the summer.

      Delete
  6. Nice job Mark. Beautiful photos of the trout and surrounding scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful outing. Man, and it was 55 degrees this weekend here in the Ozarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riverwalker34. thanks. If the mercury was pushing 55 around here, I would be out fishing for sure! Enjoy

      Delete