Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Rainy Days and Mondays...

Every now and then I remember the old Carpenter's song "rainy days and Mondays always get me down" but I guess they didn't know the simple solution to the Monday blues:  go fishing!  The last two Mondays I've been able to use up some vacation time and fish.  It really does help get the week off to a good relaxing start.  For me it provides an added day of rest to consider things that were discussed in Sunday's sermon or Bible study.

Yesterday, a friend from work and I made plans to fish the Farmington River together.  He is an experienced smallmouth bass, walleye, pike, and muskie fisherman from the Midwest with some experience with the fly rod but he had never fished for trout.  I rigged the euro nymphing rod for him and he had getting a good drift down by the time we left the first spot we fished.  This is my usual "get on the board" spot and we blanked so I was wondering if I was going to be able to get him into some interested fish.   After not finding fish in the usual spots, I decided we should move on, a decision that proved to be a good one.

the first Farmington River brown of the day

The river was up higher than I usually like to fish and at the next stop the river had an angry look to it.  I had my wading staff so, I eased him out into the strong current and got his feet planted with the staff anchored between us just in case.  As I was showing him where to drift the flies, the first brown took the frenchie and took off downstream.  After a couple of strong runs, the hook popped out but no worries, we had found fish.  I ended up putting my heaviest stonefly nymph on point and the #10 frenchie as the dropper just to make sure the rig got down as quickly as it could.  It wasn't long before he got his first lesson on fighting a Farmington brown.  The brown won that battle but experience was gained.  In the end he was able to land a couple and I was as well.  All the fish took the frenchie, which is proving to be a fine fly for winter nymphing.  We fished a third location without any interest and a few more lost flies but the wading staff I dredged up nymphing this spot a month ago was still sitting on the bank where I left it, so John had a recycled wading staff for the next trip!  You can't beat fishing on a December Monday and catching a few! Who says Monday's have to get you down.

John's first Farmington Brown.  Opps, I forgot to tell the smallmouth fisherman how to hold a trout!

11 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun time with a friend for sure! I hope those little brown trout "needle teeth" didnt hurt his thumb! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation - it was a good time, guess he knows why you cradle them now!

      Delete
  2. That's a great way to start the week. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Mark. You are lucky to live in a great part of the country. I never get tired of seeing reports on the Farmington. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - we are certainly very fortunate here, glad you enjoy the reports!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. RML - hard to beat a fishing Monday.

      Delete
  5. Nice going guys.
    Great camera work Mark.
    They don't always get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to spend a Monday!! Good looking browns!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Alan and Pete and a Merry Christmas to you both !

    ReplyDelete