Friday, January 2, 2015

Welcoming the New Year - part II

A warmer day to try the Bomber
New Year's Day was cold and blustery and not a day to fish dries even though Kirk managed to find one interested in flirting with a Royal Wulff.  All the action was subsurface with the pinkie.

Today was a bit warmer and I thought it might be worth committing to the dry and see what I could find.  I fished a different location for a couple hours during the "heat" of the day to increase my chances.

I fished an Ausable bomber all afternoon and found plenty of brooks willing to dance.  A few were brought to hand including a little rainbow.  The streak (catching a trout each month on a dry fly) of nearly two years is still alive for another month anyway.

The first brook trout of 2015 on a dry

The brook was sitting just in front of the rock midstream

A little rainbow




13 comments:

  1. That's keeping tradition alive and well, Mark. Keep 'em looking up this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Walt, the dry fly is still my favorite way to wish, even in winter when conditions allow

      Delete
  2. Nice little jewels! Do you think the bow was a wild one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RML - thanks very much. The bow could be wild based on it's size but I didn't carefully look at the dorsal fin to see if it was straight so I don't really know. It was quite dark and about 5-6 inches long

      Delete
  3. Amazing to see dries producing for you in January. I have the same question as RML about the rainbow. I am going to say yes based upon the size. Is the stream stocked? If so, do you know the size of the trout stocked?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice going Mark.
    I think I know where those 'bows are coming from.
    I was out today for a bit, cold and the brookies were tough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RI brook trout, as Alan commented, the rainbows come up into this brook from a stocked area although this little guy was smaller than the usual stockie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent way to start off 2015.....congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiwi and a happy New Year to you as well.

      Delete
  7. I don't get as much opportunity to get out in the Winter as I would like, but, it is pleasing to see that the Brookies and the Rainbow were willing to play with a dry fly in January. Thanks for sharing, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel - brookies will take dries all winter long but conditions have to be right. I think Alan was out the day after me and did not find them willing so you have to take advantage of small windows of opportunity

      Delete
  8. That's really cool Mark! is this stream connected to a larger waterway that the rainbow may have come from, or are there actually a few rainbow's scrapping a living in that little gin clear line? Be well! Will

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hibernation - the rainbow most likely up from a stocked waterway that this stream drains into but the fish was no more than 5 inches and I am under the impression that the stocked bows are larger.

    ReplyDelete