Saturday, March 7, 2015

More Palmers

I've been tying some more Palmer style flies today.  In the picture below you can see some of the larger black palmers with the red bucktail tail, some black palmer red tag wets, some brown palmer red tag wets and a bomber style dry fly.

A handful of wet and dry Palmers

I've had the idea of tying a black bomber swimming around for a while in my head.  When I started reading about the palmer style wet flies things started to come together.  I really like the heavily hackled bomber for fishing small, tumbly water and the white calf tail wing really helps keep track of the fly.  Combining these elements with a red bucktail tail and a peacock herl body resulted in a palmer style dry fly reminiscent of Fran Better's Ausable bomber.  I've a few for trying out in both brown and black hackle. (brown shown below).


Materal's list
TMC 100 #14 dry fly hook
black 8/0 Uni thread
stacked red bucktail for the tail
3 strands of peacock herl reinforced with thread for the body
White calf tail wing
brown or black saddle hackle palmered from rear to front

12 comments:

  1. Interesting... I hope that works for you, it sure looks like it could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RML - I thought it had potential but time will tell

      Delete
  2. If it has red in it, brookies will eat it. That was some of the best advice my dad gave me as a kid. This will catch. Can't wait for some better weather....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rich - thanks for the tip. Brooks sure go for the bright colors don't they! Maybe by the end of the week we will see some open water!

      Delete
  3. Mark
    Really impressed with this pattern, probably no floatant needed for this fly. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - these heavily palmered dries like the Ausable Bomber do float well in rough water but some floatant sure helps.

      Delete
  4. It will make a terrific indicator on a dry-dropper rig. It will probably catch more than the dropper. Just what I've been looking for. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harold - thanks! I love fishing the Ausable bomber a small pheasant tail dropper, we will see how this one does.

      Delete
  5. Mark - I really like the looks of these, and of the soft hackle version a few days back. Very cool tie's!
    Will

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look good. I hope it works. Don't forget to update us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie - the streams are opening up again. Hopefully, I will be out again soon and give them a try

    ReplyDelete