Saturday, April 4, 2015

Spring's first outing

Sin and Death have been defeated!

Happy Easter everyone!


It's been a long time since I was on a small stream!  Plans were made to meet  Alan and Kirk on a small wild trout stream.  When we made our plans we hadn't counted on the strong rains last night.  When I met Alan the stream was off color and quite high.

This freestone stream had an angry chalky look to it today!

Signs of spring!

I checked the water temp it was barely 40F, not very encouraging but it did feel nice to be out especially when the sun poked through!  Walking along the forest I did see a skunk cabbage here and there breaking through the earth indicating that warmer days are ahead.  I started with small beadhead white bugger but thought it was a little too bright for the water and switched to a black one.

I had one brief hookup in some softer water and thought that might be it for the day.  We finished up at a deep plunge pool and I thought I saw a quiet seam along the opposite bank.  I had one fish follow the bugger and then turn away at the last minute but I kept at it and managed to land a pretty little wild brown.  After that I called it quits and headed home content to spend some time outdoors with good friends.




18 comments:

  1. I'm jealous.....still have yet to get my first outing of the year under my belt. I'm hoping to get out there this coming week with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi - I hope you do but the best of spring is still ahead of us!

      Delete
  2. Good fishing with you yesterday.
    Better times are coming Mark. Then again any time you fish is a better time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - it was good to be out again even if it wasn't under the best of conditions!

      Delete
  3. Nice! At least you caught one. How windy was it where you were? I was dodging falling branches all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RLM - it was very windy. I heard a few large cracks and thuds !

      Delete
  4. Mark
    Glad you guys made it out and fished a stream I'm sure all of you will revisit when the flow comes down. Beautiful brook trout---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - better spring days are still ahead for us but it was very good to be out again.

      Delete
  5. Nice going there Mark!!! Hope to be joining you guys shortly!!!! Hope and pray for the warmer weather to continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - hope to see you out there soon!

      Delete
  6. Glad you were able to get one. That stream is beautiful especially in the last pic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RI brook trout. Even though the water was high and off-color it did make for some fun with the camera!

      Delete
  7. Waterfalls are awesome. That last one looks great - as does the plunge pool below it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation - that plunge pool is where the brown came from. They are always worth a few drifts!

      Delete
  8. That's the way to get the season re-booted, Mark. Love that photo of the little falls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Walt, that picture is a favorite of mine too!

      Delete
  9. Barely 40!! I'd love barely 40. Either water or air temps at this point. Nice to see conditions are improving for you guys. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todd - Spring is on the move and warmer temperature and flower are starting to bloom here and I am sure that in a couple weeks you will be seeing the same. Hang in there!

      Delete