Friday, May 8, 2015

Hendricksons 2015

I've been traveling a bit for work these past few days but I did manage to "guard" a day on my calendar for a little personal retreat. I had wanted to see if I could find some fish taking hendricksons, the first big mayfly of the season.

Dutchmen's breeches blooming along the river

Plans were made to meet Jon and Todd in the morning with the intention of moving around a bit before the expected hatch around 2pm.  We couldn't have asked for better weather with the day starting out overcast and then turning partly cloudy with not too much wind and pleasant temperatures.

At our first stop, Jon started fishing a nice riffle/run while Todd and I chatted.  I went upstream to familiar spot while they worked the water downstream.  It wasn't long before I was into a nice strong rainbow Euro nymphing with a heavy caddis larva and a bead head pheasant tail soft hackle.  After the first fish, I called Todd and Jon and told them to join me as I thought the spot was going to be very productive.  Fortunately for all of us it was.  Everyone managed a few rainbows but no browns were in the mix.   Jon even gave Euro nymphing a try with my setup after a fair bit of persuasion on my part and was able to connect as well.

the first chucky rainbow of the day

After looking at the watches, we decided we should move upriver.  I hit another little favorite spot and picked up one brown on the dropper while Todd and Jon moved up, picking up a nice fat rainbow along the way.

We settled in to nice riffle/run/pool combination a decided to hold there for a possible hatch.  Todd and I nymphed the faster water at the head and found a nice mix of browns and rainbows mostly on the pheasant tail.  It was fun to hook some nice browns in the heavier water and watch their powerful runs despite the strong current.  We lost count of how many fish we tangled with while we were waiting for the hatch.  We were joined by Peter, a friend of Jon and Todd's, and he too tangled with a few nymphing this productive section of river.  Unfortunately the hatch came off but the fish largely ignored the bugs.  I did have one look at a Hendrickson dry before being fouled hooked on the wet fly I was trailing.  I don't know if I missed the fish on the dry and then the wet fly fouled hooked him in the flank or whether I pricked him as he turned away from the wet.  No complaints but I really wanted to take a fish or two on the dry so Peter and I headed upriver again hoping to find a spinner fall.  I stopped to nymph another run off the beaten path and landed another strong brown before we settled in for a potential spinner fall.

A sunny spring afternoon along the river

A late afternoon brown

Around 7:30 the spinner fall came and lasted for about 30 minutes.  It was not a strong fall but I did manage 4 browns on a #12 egg laying parachute before things went quite just before dark.  It was a long day out on the water but a blast all the same.  Pleasant spring weather, good company, new friends, lots of action for everybody, and a few on dries...Priceless!

spinner time!

8 comments:

  1. Nice! The hendricksons accounted for some fish on small streams the other day. Brookies love big mayflies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RLM - that's great! I don't see them that often on the smaller streams

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the state has put some big guys in the river.
    Mark that shot of the river is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so.e strong fish in there for sure. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon making for a nice picture of moving water with the sun reflecting off it.

      Delete
  4. A nice outing, Mark. Haven't seen the Dutchman's breeches yet this year. Have been disappointed by the Hendricksons (again); they just didn't appear in their usual numbers this year, but am wondering just how local that was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here the hatch started then a cold snap stalled it. Wonder if that is what you are observing.

      Delete
  5. Mark
    Wow, those are some nice trout, and that stream/river is awesome you guys were fishing. The river looks easy to wade. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, it can be easy in spots and tough in spots. With lower water levels it makes more water accessible.

      Delete