Sunday, May 3, 2015

May wildflowers

A woodlawn brook in the early morning sun
I was up and out early this cool quite spring morning.  The woods were still but alive with the first blooms of wildflowers this spring. The early morning sun provided a soft light over wood anemone, dwarf ginseng, marsh marigold and fiddle head ferns were beginning to unfurl their hairy heads.  I spent most of the early morning just taking pictures and enjoying the quite of the woods.

This morning the Royal Wulff was mostly ignored probably because the brook was a bit low and very clear.  I did see a good number of dark shadows darting for cover as I walked along.



dwarf ginseng

Fiddlehead fern, wood anemone, and some ginseng
A more subtle fly was the better choice on a day like this so I switched to a #16 parachute Adams which I kept on most of the morning except for those times I just wanted to experiment.



As the morning air warmed the interest in the Adams picked up.  Near the end of the morning I hooked and lost three nice brooks all within a foot or two of each other.  Not wanting to end the day on that note I did manage to drift the Adams past a nice undercut and out charged the last brook trout of the day to intercept the Adams.


marsh marigold


10 comments:

  1. Very nice. At least the Adams got their attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk - when the Royal Wulff didn't attraction attention I knew I need another approach!

      Delete
  2. Mark
    Nothing like seeing a trout take a dry, even one who doesn't trout fish would have to love watching that kind of take. Awesome images and colorful brook trout. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - Agreed, those last three brooks I missed took the adams with a loud slurp and from the nice bend they put in the rod I could tell they were a bit bigger than the average brook trout in that particular stream. Too bad I didn't get a decent picture. Some day I will have to bring a tripod and try to get a video !

      Delete
  3. thanks Mark, beautiful brookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LQN, hope you are enjoying the Hendrickson hatch! Was out yesterday and picked up one. The fish aren't really aren't noticing that big tasty meal on the surface just yet.

      Delete
  4. Pretty pics all the way around, Mark. Nice to see dwarf ginseng again. It's been years since I stopped to identify it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Walt! Sometime crawling around looking at/photographing the wildflowers is as much fun as fishing!

      Delete
  5. Great to see the woods coming to life! That's crazy that you lost three big brookies all in one pool because usually the bigger ones spread out. I'm sure they will be waiting for you next time. That last one is decent size especially being on a dry and has some great colors...definitely not a bad consolation prize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RI Brook trout - I was really surprise that more fish rose in that spot after I hooked the first. Usually that sort of commotion puts everyone on alert! This stream produces some very colorful fish. Thanks for the reminder to change the winter scene background!

      Delete