Sunday, June 28, 2015

Farmington Friday revisted

Daisy Fleabane

This past Friday afternoon I revisited the Farmington.  The plan was basically the same as the previous Friday, nymphing during the afternoon and early evening and then find a riffle to wait out a sulfur hatch.  The afternoon was a mix of sun and clouds with the occasional passing shower.  There are lots of wildflowers in bloom along the river now.

I fished a half dozen locations during the day and late afternoon. Nymphing was productive after experimenting a bit with flies since my l go-to pattern this time of year (bead head pheasant tail soft hackle) was largely ignored. By varying the color and size I was able find that a combination of #12 super simple (gray); super simple #18 (brown), and a #14 green bead head caddis pupa worked in each location. I focused on the speedier runs and pocket water since these are where I find fishing weighted nymphs more fun and productive.

 a late afternoon brown

As evening approached, I started to look for a place to set up for the sulfur hatch.  There were a lot of fisherman out and I had to go deep into my mental checklist before I was able to find a spot.  The hatch was light where I settled but I did manage to bring three decent browns to the net on a sulfur parachute. The rises became infrequent a little before dark so I walked back to the car and call it an evening when I stumbled onto a spinner fall.  There were several subtle, consistent rises just a few feet from where I was standing.  I could see that although the rises were little more than a dimple, there were decent size fish coming up so I drifted the parachute among the rises and picked up another three before I lost the parachute in the trees behind me.  Since was too dark to tie another fly on, I finished the walk back to the car.   All in all another wonderful summer Friday afternoon on the Farmington.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good day with the hatches, Mark. Here the streams were pretty much closed for the weekend, thanks to all the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Walt - I was able to sneak and afternoon in before the rains came here as well!

      Delete
  2. That is one beautiful brown! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiwi - lots of strong, nice looking browns this outing with one sole rainbow that was caught during the spinner fall

      Delete
  3. Mark
    That bead head Pheasant Tail is an awesome fly, which has produced numerous trout for me this summer. It is my go to fly when nothing else is happening. What is the smallest PT you fish there? I think I could fish the PT and Adams and land trout most anywhere in the U.S. Thanks for sharing some good fishing from my favorite river up that way!!

    ReplyDelete