Saturday, August 15, 2015

What just happened ????

Touch-me-knot, loosestrife, and an unknown white flower

Yesterday I explored some areas on the Farmington for the first time.  I like to say that fishing was great but it really was a rather slow afternoon.  I did manage to find one wild brown sitting just off a shallow bank.

Later in the afternoon I saw some small olives coming off and fooled another two browns on a #20 dark olive parachute and missed another.  One of the fish had scars on it's flank from a fairly sizable set of teeth.

I decided to hang around til dark and see if there would be spinner fall.  There really wasn't much of one but I did manage one decent brown on a small rusty spinner.



A pretty wild brown
I had spotted another fish rising within casting range so I kept casting the spinner over it and eventually got it to take the fly.  It was a respectable sized fish and I got it close to the net but sometimes in the dark it's tough to tell exactly where the fish is and where the head is.  I didn't get the net in the right position and that's when the fun started...All of a sudden my rod tip went down and the fish was pulling hard for the bottom.  The next thing I knew, line was peeling off my reel and the fish headed like a run away train for the opposite bank.  I tried to slow it down and put more drag on the reel but it wasn't stopping.  In desperation, I tried to stop it and gain control before it ran my line around something but the line went slack and I was looking at my small rusty spinner once again.

So help me out here, what do you think happened?  Did the fish I had on go into overdrive?  Please share your thoughts and stories in the comments section!

8 comments:

  1. Not the most likely of possibilities, but maybe a really big brown decided to make off with the one you had on. There certainly are some beasts in there. If not a brown, maybe an otter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice wild brown! I agree with Rowan...maybe a larger brown tried to take the one you caught? Either that or maybe the fish was much larger than it made it seem when you initially landed it? That's certainly a head scratcher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are there any pike in the lower reaches? Maybe, if there are, one worked it's way up stream and viewed your catch as a tasty treat! Cool experience regardless.
    Will

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got some landlocked salmon on that river that put up a really good fight... that's my bet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your comments. I did get a few by email as well. One decent suggestion was that the fish was foul hooked and then took off after I tried to net it. This is possible although initially I did not think anything was amiss.

    Most of you picked up on the fact that a previous fish did have some teeth marks on it so a predator of some kind is possible. The area does have a few beavers but they are not supposed to eat fish. A couple years ago I was fishing a hare's ear nymph when I hooked a juvenile salmon. I left it in the water for a few moments and when I began to reel in line I noticed a large 20+ inch brown swimming around my feet. As more line came in it began to follow the large brown around. I managed somehow to get it up to my net but the net being hopelessly undersized only served to provide the big brown with the needed leverage to break the line and in so doing make off with the salmon still in it's mouth. I suspect a similar thing happened although I can't be sure. Maybe I should do back some night with a big streamer and see if I can find the predator!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds to me like a foul-hooked trout that woke up at your feet and said, no way! In any case, a mystery finish like that will always make us come back for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - You could be right on the foul-hooked explanation although the other option is fun to think about!

      Delete
  7. Trophy brown trout don't get that big from eating mayflies their whole life... Next time you hook a salmon parr in the Farmington, live-line it for a bit and see what happens ;)

    ReplyDelete