Friday, October 23, 2015

Eagles and Olives

I was out yesterday afternoon looking for fish rising to small olives.  The olives were coming off heavy early in the afternoon but the wind must have put the fish down, since I didn't see a single rising fish.  Rather than stick it out for the winds to calm down, I made the call to change locations to another spot that usually has rising fish hoping the wind would be less of an issue.

The wind still made getting a good drift tough but I was able to bring a couple to net.  The first brown took a #20 parachute Adams and I though I had things dialed in but after many rises within inches of the fly I switched to a small wingless wet.  I quickly brought a rainbow to hand but it also was good for one fish and that was it.

The highlight of the afternoon was watching a bald eagle circle low over the river a couple of times and then roost in a nearby Sycamore tree.  I've seen eagles cruising the river before but this was the closest I've been to one.  I ran back to the car to get my good camera with a decent zoom on it but when I turned it on the battery was dead!  What an amazing and majestic bird and it's good to see that they are returning to healthy populations once again!

My afternoon fishing partner



8 comments:

  1. Nice outing Mark.
    Eagles, what a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - seeing the eagle that close made the afternoon worthwhile

      Delete
  2. Cool bird photo, Mark. I think it's a great thing to see our eagles side by side with the trout streams, even though I sometimes hear anglers grumbling about their presence when, in likelihood, the two-leggeds are probably insecure about their own skills. Too bad, because these creatures lend their majesty to the stream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - I was wondering what the eagle would do if I hooked a fish while it was in the tree overhead. I've heard stories of a particular heron in the area that would take fish off the line of an angler's line!

      Delete
  3. The eagle made the day!! Nice photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark
    Anytime one can spot and photograph an eagle is always special; I have yet to come close enough to get a camera shot. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill - I've seen them before but usually they are in flight and too far away to get a good shot.

      Delete