Friday, October 16, 2015

Except for the wind

This time of year, I look forward to any opportunity to get out and enjoy the fall weather and the spectacular fall colors that cover the hillsides of New England.  This day's adventure would take me to a wide expansive river.  Big rivers require a bit of a learning curve since there are so many possibilities of where the fish can be but when the fish are rising, at least you increase your odds of finding fish.  I thought the forecast for cloudy skies and moderate air temperatures would equate to a banner "blue winged olive" day.

When I arrived, the cloudy skies prevailed and I started in nymphing the head of a large pool waiting for the olives to start coming off.  I picked up a couple healthy holder-over browns before the wind started picking up and made casting two weighed flies more about untangling windknots than actually fishing.



Between the wind and some light showers passing through, it wasn't long before I was damp, cold and wishing I had brought more than a light jacket.  I stuck it out most of the afternoon by getting out of the water to warm up and managed a couple of browns on a small olive parachute but the stiff headwind made it nearly impossible to reach the occasional rising fish without getting blown yards upstream of the target.   Later the fish were rising more frequently but again they were hopelessly out of reach under the conditions.  Although not the banner day I was hoping for, I was still able to catch a few and enjoy some great New England scenery.


A brief break in the clouds and wind but no rising fish

6 comments:

  1. Mark
    Quality brown trout making a successful trip, beautiful area you were fishing. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, that area is very beautiful in the fall. I even saw an osprey fishing to!

      Delete

  2. A very beautiful part of the state in the fall. Glad you were able to get into a few as that will keep you warm on the cold raw days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Pete - it's time to bundle up in you are going to be standing in water for any length of time now!

      Delete
  3. Props to you for getting out on a tough fly fishing day. I am glad you were rewarded with those beautiful browns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parachute Adams - thanks. Just fortunate I found a few fish and was able to warm up quickly on the way home!

    ReplyDelete