Friday, January 1, 2016

Starting off 2016

A small stream visited on the first day of the new year
It was another gray winter day to welcome the New Year but without the threat of frozen guides and a biting wind that opened 2015.

As in year's past , the usual suspects gathered at a small stream of Alan and Kirk's choosing. This year Alan, Kirk, Pete, John and myself were joined by Rowan to continue a First Day tradition that goes back quite a few years.

The stream was quite full and I quickly realized that my dry/dropper rig that worked so well a couple days previous needed to be modified so I switched to pink San Juan worm.

After the switch, I worked a very nice looking seam that offered up the first brook trout of 2016.


Late in the morning a bunch of us were chatting when Rowan noticed a fish rising in a back eddy. He tried several approaches but was not able to find a way to get a fly in front of the fish.  It's challenges like these that make fishing small streams with tight bank side cover so much fun.  As I was watching him, I noticed another fish rising 3-4 inches off the bank under a pine tree just down stream of me. Whatever it was rising to, it was small so I put on a small parachute Adams thinking it might be taking midges in the surface film.  After surveying the problem for a little, I thought it might be possible to cast the Adams to the opposite bank and let the current carry the fly under the pine branches that were just a couple feet above the stream and up against the bank where the fish was working.  A slight tug provide enough slack to give a decent drift as the fly passed under the pine branches and up against the bank and another slight retrieve positioned the fly in front of the fish and brought a quick response.  After a brief tussle the first brook trout of the year on dry fly was in my hands and quickly on his way home a little wiser for the experience.

We met up back where we had parked the cars and began heating up lunch.  Alan had a charcoal grill going on which he boiled some homemade hot dogs and a stove with some homemade baked beans that really hit the spot while I was heating up my first attempt at homemade chicken soup.  Some wonderful  warm food and plenty of fish stories finished off the day before I needed to head home. I am certain the rest of the crew were able to find a few more fish in the afternoon.

Alan working on heating up the hot dogs while John and Rowan look on.  In the foreground
my 35 year old Peak One is working on getting the chicken soup hot (love that stove!)
Wishing all of you the best in 2016!

10 comments:


  1. Another great start to the new year Mark!! Nice going taking one on the dry fly. It was good to get out and see everyone, catch a few and enjoy the NDY Tradition!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark it was a good first day. We were so fortunate the weather was with us and the brook trout were willing to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - thanks for preparing the food and cooking for all of us!

      Delete
  3. Another nice opener, Mark. Way to carry on a nice tradition. We did the same here in western NY but it was colder, and snowy. Had to use wets to make them hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - your experience sounds like New Year's Day last year. I almost froze trying to get my stove going. Truth be told all but one of the fish were caught sub surface, we just happened to find a couple odd risers. Happy New Year

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes it is Will! I look forward to this outing every year

      Delete
  5. Friends + Fish + Food always equal a great time, and that's exactly looks and sounds like. Nice attention to detail seeing these small beautiful fish rise to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justin - I love fishing dries so when I see a fish rising I usually concentrate on trying to coax it to a dry fly.

      Delete