Saturday, February 20, 2016

Finally getting out


With the snow and cold we've had around here lately, I was hopeful to get out today and do some exploring.  By the time I left the house the thermometer was inching it's way into the 40's and by mid afternoon it was reading well into the 60's.  Quite a change from -10 that greeted me on my way to church last Sunday morning!



This morning I decided to take a walk along a section of stream that I had not visited yet.  It looked pretty promising and I will have to go back again.  I was able to briefly tangle with a small brookie and a brown before they worked themselves free.  I did try fishing a dry fly for brief periods during the warm afternoon but with all the melting snow, the brook was pretty full.  Even a committed dry fly fisherman like myself knows when to go to the bead head nymph.  I did mess around with a small bomber every now and then and I was able to raise a couple of fish that nipped at the small bomber but the bead head accounted for the few fish brought to hand today.

One thing we tend to forget on these warmer afternoons in the winter is the fact that melting snow will often depress the water temperature because the snow melt is at transition temperature (32) between water and ice.  Even thought the warm air can get us excited to get out, if there is snow on the ground these brief warming trends can have a negative effect on water temperature and probably contributed to the fact that few fish were willing to move for the flies.  But despite the slow fishing, I was very thankful for some fresh air and feeling the warm of the sun again.




14 comments:

  1. It was a beautiful Springlike day, here in Madison CT. I recall when we first moved to CT back in the 70's we had some very warm Winters. Hamburg cove would be full of white perch in biblical numbers. There's nothing more delicious than white perch fillets from cold water. I wonder if they still migrate there or maybe the stripers have reduced their numbers, currently. Anyway, keep up the good work. Your Ausable bomber video is awsome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John - thanks, glad you liked the video

      Delete
  2. It was certainly a nice day to be out, I just wish I could have been on a brooky stream. I got skunked looking for bottom feeders...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rowan - It was a gorgeous day for sure but the fish weren't moving much

      Delete
  3. Mark
    Beautiful pocket hole, an image worth framing--color brook trout---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bill - That waterfall is a pretty spot when the sun is on it. I wish I could say I found a fish in the area but I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful waterfall. I completely agree that sometimes you have to bite the bullet and put a nymph on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben - Thanks, and yes sometimes you just need to be flexible

      Delete

  6. I think I recognize that waterfall!! I hope you switched to the BHPTSH!! You know it works!! Nice going Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - I am sure you do! I actually didn't fish the pheasant tail this outing.

      Delete
  7. I have seen the blackbirds returning.....hopefully it won't be too much longer before those nice spring- like days become the norm again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi - The forecast looks like more spring like weather ahead so we will have to wait and see what March brings.

      Delete
  8. beautiful little stream! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete