Sunday, February 7, 2016

Not so fast

In my last post, I asked if spring was almost here.  I even saw pictures of snow drops blooming this past week but living in New England has taught me that premature pronouncements about the weather are rarely a good idea.  I should have known better that to wonder if winter was done!  With the potential for some warmer weather this weekend, the couple of inches of snow predicted for Friday did not particular cause any concern until the couple of inches turned into a foot of snow and we were all reminded that winter is still here.


Despite the snow on the ground, temperatures were still supposed to be moderate so I headed out anyway.  The fishing was very slow probably due to the fact that there was so much snow falling off the trees and into the stream during the warm afternoon that the fish were probably tucked well under the bank until the bombing ceased.

Winterberry and snow
I did find a couple of brook trout willing to rise to a small parachute Adams and one small one that hung on. But the combination of the sun, a healthy flowing brook and the snow made for a great scene to be hiking and taking pictures in.







23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Bill - it was an amazingly beautiful day for sure

      Delete
  2. Great pictures, Mark, of a beautiful woods and stream. I thoroughly enjoy your blog site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams - thanks! I'm glad you enjoy the site and thanks for the encouragement. I wonder every now and then whether to keep it going.

      Delete
    2. I hope you keep it going, Mark. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way.
      Regards, Sam

      Delete
  3. It looks very quiet and beautiful. Love to fish after a snow storm. I don't usually do well but it's very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad - It was a really gorgeous day to be out regardless of the fishing. That's why we enjoy fishing these tiny headwater streams.

      Delete
  4. Mark
    A winter wonderland, scenic images, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning photos. I love that first one. Snow is prettiest when it coats every tree like that, but it sure makes a mess... so many fallen trees and branches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rowan. Sometimes I just enjoy taking pictures since there is always so much beauty around at all times of the year.

      Delete

  6. I think winter is making a comeback. Mother nature paints a beautiful picture! Nice Photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - I think we were premature in announcing spring. I'm sitting at home today looking at more snow coming down.

      Delete
  7. Stunning photos, Mark. Nothing more beautiful than a snow covered forest. I'm impressed you got one on a dry with all that snow. Winter is definitely flexing its muscles now...we are in for more snow today and cold temps at the end of this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RI brook trout - thanks, yes we are getting more snow today and it looks like more is on the way this week. As long as the streams don't ice up there will still be opportunities to tempt a few with a fly.

      Delete
  8. G'Day from Australia,

    A beautiful little stream and brook trout. I must visit the US again but next time with a fly rod so that I can experience the same joy as you get when fishing for native trout in such fine looking waters.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve - thanks for stopping by! The north east is loaded with all types of water with trout from these small headwaters streams to larger rivers. Sure hope you get a chance to experience it if you are ever over here sometime.

      Delete
  9. Love the picture of the brookie going for the dry. Quite a thing to get a photo like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben - thanks. Actually that picture is not the moment the trout took the fly but after, just before I removed the fly and released it.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Walt - yes there is! That's why I don't mind getting out in the winter because even when the fishing is off there is still so much to enjoy.

      Delete
  11. Mark, you're truly a lucky man to live around such beauty.

    ReplyDelete