Saturday, March 5, 2016

Royal Wulff video

Here a video for tying another of my favorite small stream flies, the Royal Wulff!  Enjoy




I did get out this morning to get in some tight line nymphing practice on one of the recently stocked TMAs (trout managment areas).  From now until April, these are the only areas open to trout fishing.  It was a cold morning and after a couple of hours the toes had lost their feeling but it was good to get out and sharpen up the skill set.  A small black pheasant tail and bright flashy caddis puppa accounted for embarrassing number of cookie cutter brookies, browns, and bows.

On the way back to the car, I noticed a pretty large group of people with a few large vans full of gear.  When I asked what they were up to they said they were  Fairfield University students who were filming for a movie.  From the costumes I guess it was set in the medieval period but who knows how the guy in the lab coat factors into the plot?


6 comments:

  1. Mark, thanks for posting this. I love the Royal Wulff but have always found tying the body to be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - Glad to hear it was helpful, the Royal Coachmen/Wulff can be a tricky to get everything in, the longer shank 9671 really helps. When you tie in the red floss you can use red thread or skip the floss and use a bright red thread.

      Delete
  2. What a random thing to run into (the filming).
    Nicley tied royal wulff by the way, one of my favourite patterns, especially in size 12-14.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben - thanks! I had no idea what all these people and gear where doing and was surprised the costumes. I probably fish the royal more than any other fly over brook trout, I should try it more often in the larger streams for browns and rainbows!

      Delete
  3. Mark
    Nice work at the bench; I don't fish the Royal Wulff enough---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! When nothing else is working try one!

      Delete