Friday, April 15, 2016

Hendricksons?

I've been seeing reports that the Hendricksons have been out in force on the Farmington River so I took the last two afternoons off and headed up to the river.  Apparently a lot of other people had been seeing the same reports because there was a lot of people all over the river.

Yesterday afternoon, I was hoping to do some nymphing at the head of a pool that is usually a good bet for fishing dries.  I did manage one brown on the first cast but I think the other guys who arrived early in the day had worked the area over pretty well.

Once the hatch got going the number of bugs in the air and on the water was impressive. Unfortunately the fish weren't really taking notice.  I did see two rises in some faster water and managed to take one decent holdover brown on a compardun and briefly hooked and dropped the other.


From what I saw, I think the hatch is just starting because the fish really weren't taking notice.  I think it takes a few days of a heavy hatch for the fish to get clued in.  Later in the afternoon I did find a couple of sporadically rising fish picking off a few straggling hendricksons.  I landed one on the comparadun and broke off the other.

This afternoon I thought another location might be a better option because the wading is more difficult and it tends to discourage heavy traffic. When I arrived early in the afternoon there was a couple guys nypmhing so I headed up into some heavy pocket water and managed a holder over brown and a rainbow nypmhing the current seams.  It was at that point the I was noticing some water in my waders.  By the end of the afternoon my right leg and foot were sloshing around in a good bit of cold water.  I think it's coming from one spot so I picked up some Loon's UV wader repair.  Hopefully I will be able to report that this is a great product and works really well!

Once the hatch kicked in it was another strong one with lots of bugs on the water.  More fish were taking duns off the water but they had a lot of targets to choose from and it usually took a number of drifts through the same line before a fish would take the compardun.  The comparadun accounted for some healthy browns making me forget the fact that might right leg was soaked!  I'm thankful to have had the opportunity to spend two great spring days outside.


One of the better holder browns
For those interested here is the fly of the day...

11 comments:

  1. Is that a blue tag on the third?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rowan - didn't notice anything. The picture was really washed out so you can't tell the nice buttery brown. I don't take my good camera with me wading. The adipose was in tack and had a fringe of red.

      Delete
    2. Might very well have been a wild fish.

      Delete
  2. Mark nice to see the fish are starting to look up!! You had a good day despite a little river water in your waders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - It was a good day out. Hopefully I can repair the leak, I think a thorn got me.

      Delete
  3. Mark
    Congrats on a successful outing fishing pressured waters; quality browns, were the takes savage or light? How long had your old waders lasted? I am into my 4th year with my waders, may be the last for them this year. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - thanks. In faster water the fish only have a brief look at the fly so the takes are pretty aggressive and splashy which makes them easy to spot. I have Simms freestones and have had them 4-5 years (can't really remember). I found a thorn hole and applied Loon's UV wader repair on the inside and out. Hopefully that will fix the leak!

      Delete
  4. Nice post Mark. I really enjoy seeing reports on the Farmington. I think it has to be my favorite I've never been to. Again, another excellent video also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - The Farmington is a quality tail-water here in CT but you have some great rivers out your way too! Unfortunately, I don't take too many shots of the river because people figure out pretty easily where you were and hit it hard, one of the disadvantages of a great river within driving distance of some major population areas.

      Delete
  5. We're off and running with the hatch season in most places around here. As early as April 2 there were Hendricksons and even March Browns coming off the water in Slate Run. So, thanks for a good report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - It's nice to be seeing bugs again after the winter isn't it! We had reports of the Hendricksons coming off earlier but a cold snap put a damper on things for about a week. No march browns up this way yet. I am trying to take advantage of every opportunity right now, hope you are able to do the same.

      Delete