Saturday, April 9, 2016

Home water

The earth is awakening, the trout lily will soon be blooming

I love the adventure of seeing and exploring new places and landscapes, wondering what lies ahead of the next riffle but I also like to fish smaller water close to home.  There is a sense of comfort and familiarity that comes with fishing water that you've taken the time to get to know, banks you've hiked along many times, water that you've observed change through the seasons of recent history.  This is what it means to me to fish "home water".                                      




For the opening day of trout season this year, Alan and I met to fish a small stream away from those who are more interested in filling their buckets with pellet fed fish.  Alan suggested a brook well-known to both of us but even in places like these the particular conditions on any give day will move the fish around.  The stream was flowing a bit high but very clear and after some early experimenting I settled on a dry dropper rig with a heavier nymph that could get down quickly in the heavier current.  A couple of brook trout did come off the bottom to slash at the Royal Wulff I was using as an indicator, but most of the fish I hooked took a bead head caddis puppa dropper tied off the bend of the Wulff,


 

I can't think of the better way to open the trout season...

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful brook trout, Mark. I love the picture of the one hiding underneath the twig and the leaf. Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - thanks, they are magnificently beautiful fish and thats probably the reason I love taking pictures of them so much

      Delete
  2. Awesome start to the "open season" Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice day, good company, caught some fish and took great photos. Sounds good to me! A blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a fine day! Once again beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete, we missed you but I know you had a good time out with Matt!

      Delete
  5. It was an enjoyable day for sure. Nice to fish with you again. The Trout Lilly is about 2 weeks ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your company once again! I love seeing the trout lily in spring!

      Delete
  6. Mark, I would love to fish with you and Alan just once. This is just another in a long line of beautiful places you guys fish. As I mentioned in Alan's post. There are no need for words when the water and the fish look like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - you will just have to come visit us in New England then! We are blessed with lots of beautiful water to explore.

      Delete
  7. Mark
    Beautiful camera shot of the brook in the shallows---glad you guys had success. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Bill - it's good to be back home again!

      Delete