Friday, April 29, 2016

Oh no!

Dutchman's breeches
I'm sure every one of you out has a story to tell about something you've forgotten on your way to the river. We'll this morning in my rush to get everything ready and in the car before work so I could leave directly from work, I forgot to pack the flies!  The river is about an hour's drive from home so there would be no driving back.  Fortunately, my rods were still strung up with three flies from the last trip, one of which was a Hendrickson soft hackle so I decided I would swing the soft hackle for bit and see what I could find.  Even if did see a hatch, I figured I would still do pretty well with it. I did manage one rainbow on the wet, which was a bit of a moral victory.

Fortunately for me, my buddy Pete was also in the area.  One of the benefits of tying flies for your friends is that when you leave your boxes at home they are likely to have an extra fly or two, maybe even a few of yours!  Pete was gracious enough to loan me a couple comparaduns, one of which connected with a nice rainbow.  I guess I'm gonna have to give Pete a few more flies since he didn't have any of my comparaduns in his box.  Thanks Pete!

A healthy 16" holdover rainbow (all the fins in good shape)

8 comments:

  1. You are more than welcome!! That is what friends do, share! You had the catch of the day with that bow!!! Nice going!! I enjoyed the afternoon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happens to me all the time Mark. I've forgotten wading boots, flies, reel and once I even forgot to bring clothes except what I was wearing. That's what friends are for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - I'm sure there are lots of stories. I forgot the wading boots once, ended up buying a pair at a local stop. What a great pair of boots, still have them. Best thing I ever forgot!

      Delete
  3. Mark
    Stunning rainbow, how is this when forgetting items to carry to the tailrace or stream; I forgot my fly rod one time last year. I discovered that is was missing after I got to the tailrace, went back home and didn't go back that day. Really got disgusted---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - forgetting the rod doesn't give you many options does it! That could really ruin your day.

      Delete
  4. I forgot my fly box once. After driving an hour and half one way, I found one fly in my my vest, a sz 16 gold ribbed hares, fished it for three hours till I lost it,then I was done. It was one of my more memorable days. Sometimes you just deal with what you have.great story. It's also nice to have good friends. Thanks for the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad - that's a great story. Having one fly forces you to fish it well rather changing all the time.

      Delete