Saturday, May 7, 2016

Spring rains

Wild violets along the stream
It's been a week of rain here in New England and I've heard a lot of complaining.  I can remember begging my mom as a kid to let me go out in the rain.  There is something about the quietness and melancholy of the woods in the rain that I find appealing provided you are dressed to stay warm and mostly dry.

Pete, the Farm River Angler, and I made plans to meet close to home and fish for wild browns.  With the rains, the stream was up a bit and a little off color so I decided to swing a bead head pheasant tail soft hackle today.


The first of a pair of small wild browns to take the swung pheasant tail

Right off the bat, two small browns slammed the PT on a slight retrieve.  A pair of larger wild browns took the pheasant tail as it swung by the base of a tree along the edge of the stream and in a deep channel as the stream ran along an old rock wall, perhaps the remains of an old dam.

New England is full of old rock walls

These gorgeous wild browns certainly add to the pleasure of a rainy spring morning

The wildflowers are certainly taking advantage of the spring rains and the violets and garlic mustard were all blooming.  On the drive home I passed a field full of wintercress (another wild flower in the mustard family) covering the field in a blanket of bright yellow under a low grey sky

Garlic mustard

Field of wintercress



22 comments:

  1. Beautiful wild browns, Mark. I am glad to see they are thriving in that nice stream and that you caught a few.

    Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sam this little stream produces some really magnificent wild browns

      Delete
  2. A light spring rain is a wonderful time to be out.
    Alive.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good day on the river despite the rain!! Those are beauties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - it was a fun day to be out even thought it was pouring when we started!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful browns & I'm learning the names of the wild flowers, too. Thanks. Hope to fish with you again after Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike - we will make plans but until then enjoy PA

      Delete
  5. Beautiful brown. Pete still owes me a trip there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirk - I'm sure he would be happy to take you up on it!

      Delete
  6. Mark
    BHPT is one of my to go patterns, glad you guys had success---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - It's a good one. One of these days I'll put up a video on it, I add a couple turns of partridge.

      Delete
  7. After 66 years of living, I've finally learned to stop complaining about the weather. There isn't a thing we can do about it, so you either suck it up and go or you stay home and find something else to do. I'm happy to see you went out and not only caught some beautiful fish but enjoyed your surroundings. Thanks Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - I learned that lesson living in Upstate NY for a few years. Up there the people embraced winter and found ways to enjoy it and I've tried to maintain that attitude.

      Delete
  8. Those are such great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rowan! It was fun taking them.

      Delete
  9. Your article is unique once. I like your writing skill.The Photos were exclusive one. I hope to get such more posts from you. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks William, glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  10. I, too, like a showery day for fishing at this time of year. Nice photos of wild trout and wildflowers with the hint of rain (but let's hope we get the sunshine,too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - thanks, I like bright clear days too! This is such a great time of year with the earth bursting to life again. Everything new and hopeful!

      Delete
  11. Rain is intrinsically romantic. I would be surprised if you viewed it differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John - "romantic" in the broadest definition of the word is a good description of the feeling on gets on these type of days! Thanks for the great comment!

      Delete