Sunday, June 19, 2016

Back on the Farmington again

I can hardly believe it's almost a month and a half since I last fished the Farmington River but it's been a fun month or so fishing small streams close to home and far away.

I spent Friday afternoon up on the river enjoy another one of a string of warm, clear, dry, June days.  While this weather is wonderful to be outside in did I mention how dry it's been lately?  I checked out a couple small streams yesterday and ended up taking pictures of wildflowers since the streams were too low to fish.  Fortunately the Farmington flows have been decent throughout this dry spell but I am sure it's taking a toll on the reserves above the dam.

I spent the early part of the afternoon in the head of a nice pool nymphing the pocket water which is the type of water I really enjoy fishing.  I caught a couple of nice strong browns and then decided to throw some big dries and see what would come up.  I missed one on a long cast across the pocket water where getting a decent drift was a real challenge but I got a second chance a little later when some caddis were coming off and a nice brown in the same area came up and took the caddis.



Sweet Roacket 
Later in the afternoon, I met Scot from Sportsman's Compass.  The highlight of the day was fishing during a glorious early evening and sunset.  The sweet rocket is starting to fade but I could still get hint of that sweet fragrance here and there throughout the evening.

The "hatch" was quite a mix of bugs; sulfurs of several sizes and coloration, large Cahills, olives, caddis,  and spinners at dark.  I fished some of the pockets at the head of the pool with my nymph rig and caught a nice pair of browns but for most of the evening we fished over strong browns and rainbows willing to take a host of dries.  One brown in particular came up a handful of times during the evening and I could tell it had some size from what I was hearing but I could not entice it to rise to any of the flies I tried.  I changed to darker, more orange sulfur comparadun and bang it took it and put a decent bend in my 4wt.   Fish took sulfur comparaduns (pale yellow and orange bodied), sulfur parachutes and even a small parachute Adams.

One of several strong Farmington River browns

Ragged Robin

12 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are back in action and had a good day on the river!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete! We have to get together soon!

      Delete
  2. Mark,the opportunity to fish a river with so many hatches is a a lot of fun,our Penns creek in central pa. Reminds me a lot of the Farmington . The fish are all wild and it pretty much has all the major hatches,when you have multiple hatches coming off at one time, it makes for some interesting fishing. Your blessed to has such a quality river, thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad - I am amazed how selective trout can be when there are so many different bugs on the water. It can make for some challenging and fun fishing. I've heard a lot about Penn's Creek, maybe someday I'll get the opportunity but right now I just thankful to have a great fishery reasonably close to home. Enjoy your local waters, it's a great time of year to but out

      Delete
  3. Mark
    I am assuming since the Farmington is a tailrace the trout don't spawn there??? That is the case in both tailraces I fish here in Alabama and Tennessee. Beautiful colors on those brown trout and extremely healthy. Unbelievable amount of insect activity on this river, especially in the dry pattern form. I am so impressed with this river. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - the Farmington is a tail-water/tailrace that has very good natural reproduction of browns. I will often run across a wild brown fishing but there are also wild brookies in the river and maybe some wild rainbows (I've run across a couple that looked like they might be)

      Delete
  4. Mark -
    I love the pic's with the flowers. Very cool view of the river!
    Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will - thanks! I want to learn how to take better back-light photos that can better capture that time of day when the sun is low in the sky and everything has a glow about it.

      Delete
  5. Nice outing Mark. Have you been taking any salmon parr?
    No rain in sight...Farmington your a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - I hadn't thought about it before you mentioned it, but this year I haven't caught very many salmon parr. Is something going on? Hopefully we will get rain soon, I've got the small stream itch again!

      Delete
  6. Nice streamwork, Mark. The low streams and dry conditions are a concern. Hopefully we'll see enough rain this season to keep us out of trouble. Thankfully we have birds and wildflowers and other great phenomena to help us deal with the stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - thanks! Yes everything has been dry around here. Fortunately, the Farmington is cool and has a decent flow but the small streams are very low. Last Saturday I was out and ended up just walking around and taking pictures of all the wildflowers. I've been thinking about how to put the pictures into an interesting format but they have been amazing this season!

      Delete