Thursday, June 30, 2016

Three reasons not to leave your camera at home, EVER!

#1)  Who wants to read your boring post with only text (like this one)!  I am reminded of those summers when I was young when my mother would take me to the library every week and insisted that I take atleast one book out to read.   My choice was always quick and solely based on the ratio of pictures to text.  Let's face it, pictures keep us all engaged.

#2)  When you are out in a canoe on an Adirondack Lake because the streams are too dry to fish and you see the most amazing sunset, you'll want to take some pictures because you are never going to see another one like it and trying to describe is pointless unless you are a REALLY good writer!

#3)  When you are out in a canoe on that same Adirondack Lake and you are tossing a popper for the odd rock bass or small mouth just for fun, and you tie into the biggest small mouth you've ever caught in your life...you will want that picture to prove it!  Especially since we all know that fisherman exaggerate! (its was 3lbs if it was an ounce!)

A lesson learned on an Adirondack Lake just this past week!

15 comments:

  1. I've taken to strapping a go-pro to my chest at all times. Now I'm covered and can prove any "fishing stories"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben - sounds like a good idea but I still like still images, especially of sunsets

      Delete
  2. Boy do I feel some pain in this short post! Message received loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - no pain for sure, I'm still kind of laughing at myself though I am a little disappointed in not getting a picture of the sunset, it was amazing!

      Delete
  3. Where's the Picture? A Picture is worth a thousand words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. loblollylove - I almost posted a picture of the lake I took a few years ago LOL!

      Delete
  4. An equally painful experience is to have the camera nearby and not get it out in time before the first mate drops the largest bluefish of your life over the side of the boat before you can snap a shot. Oh well....Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris - I'm sure we all have our stories! Like trying to get a well composed shot when the fly pops out and off the subject. I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me.

      Delete
  5. No worries Mark - it's still a great story for our minds eyes. Point blank, some times, you just need to go fish, or go enjoy the outside for its own sake. Laying out, sharing it, that's great... But, ultimately, the essence of enjoying the outdoors comes from doing it for it's own sake. Glad you had a great trip, and caught a gorgeous fish to boot!
    Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will - you are spot on, and that was my thinking in going out without one. I just thought it was funny that on this particular occasion I would see an amazing sunset and tie into a big fish.

      Delete
  6. I have always felt the images in my mind were the ones that were the most important but as I get get older I can tell you it is always nice to refer back to great experiences that you have images of. I know I never leave without my camera anymore. Sometimes taking photos are better than the fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad - I'm with you on enjoying taking the pictures. Like figuring out what bugs fish are feeding on during a hatch, experimenting with the camera to try to capture a visual scene is a fun puzzle to work out also

      Delete
  7. Although it would've been nice to see, the fact that you didn't have a camera probably made the moment better for you. Sometimes cameras don't allow you to enjoy the moment, so at times leaving the camera behind is a good move. You have treated us with so many good photos over the course of the blog, so we can't get on you for this one 😉.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RI brook trout - thanks for the kind words. I meant to write this as a humorous piece but judging from the comments, it looks like most were taking things a bit more serious then I intended

      Delete
    2. RI brook trout - thanks for the kind words. I meant to write this as a humorous piece but judging from the comments, it looks like most were taking things a bit more serious then I intended

      Delete