Tuesday, July 5, 2016

An evening session

A passenger in the car the next morning
My neighbor and fishing buddy Mike and I decided to fish the Farmington river after work late last week.  Mike was on the river earlier and had done well.  We each checked out a couple places and then met at our best option for the evening.  At first the river was quite so I started off nymphing and managed my first fish, nice rainbow that took the nymph in some pocket water.  As evening approached we both noticed a couple of fish occasionally rising under some trees on the opposite bank.  I traded the nymph rod for my dry fly rod and put a large cream comparadun along the bank.  The fish came up but struck short.  After working the comparadun all along the bank and failing to raise any more fish, I switched to a usual on a short shanked hook.  A nice brown took the usual just a few feet off the bank.  A few more browns were taken on the usual including one that took it on the swing across some shallow riffles.  I love how you can fish a usual in so many ways.

The first of a few browns on the usual

As the sun went down,a couple fish were working a riffle right in front of me.  They would come up occasionally for something that I could match.  More out of frustration than insight, I switched back to the nymph rig and worked the channel where I saw the rises.  It only took a few good drifts before the Walt's worm connected with a hefty fish.  After a couple of strong runs, I got my first look at the beast of a brown that I had hooked.  I really wanted to land this fish so I worked hard to stay below the fish and managed to lead it through the faster moving, boulder filled run, around some large rocks at the tail of the run and into the softer pool below.  Mike came up to give me hand and I eventually was able to get the net under it, which it just barely fit in.  We measured the fish at an honest 20", my biggest Farmington brown to date.  With Mike's help, we took a few pictures and released the fish.


My best Farmington Brown to date (photo courtesy of Mike Shannon)

We ended the evening fishing over some picky trout.  I did entice a couple to take a small spinner but the fish were largely ignoring my fly.  Lack of success and the maddening effect of being eaten alive by what we thought were mosquito led us to quit not long after dark.  It wasn't until a drive the next morning that it all started to coming together in my mind.  My wife said she was trying to get a flying ant out of the truck when the light bulb went on, flying ants!  We were getting bit by flying ants and that is probably what the fish were keyed on the previous evening.  This whole scenario has happened to me before and I should have remembered those maddening bites but it usually occurs much later in the summer around here. Hopefully, I will be more alert the next time I run into ants but at least I will have a few small flies in my box since I just put a few in the box!

17 comments:

  1. Awesome brown Mark...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice brown! Good Job !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Mark, job well done to land that big brown in water that is tricky to navigate! Sure enjoying looking through some of the previous posts also. I will be back often and follow your blog as you do your thing............. Thanks for the Facebook friendship approval and I also want to share my blog with you. Please feel welcome to stop over and say hello. I have added your blog to my blogroll on mine.
    http://melsfishintimes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. I've put up a link to your blog here so I can keep up to date with what's new on your blog.

      Delete
  4. Congrats, that is an awesome trout! Fat and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Rowan! It was a handful to move in the right direction

      Delete
  5. Great thick brown with a full adipose. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kierran - thanks! Yes the adipose was intact, although I didn't notice a red fringe on it. Do you think it is wild?

      Delete
  6. Great story and pictures, Mark. Congrats on that dandy brown trout. Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark , congrats on that big brown, you should be proud. Walts worm was a fly that was created in north central pa. To imitate crane fly larva. The pattern seems to do well every place its fished. Could not ask for a simpler pattern, hares ear, thread and a 2xl nymph hook. Doesn't get better than that when you get results like your magnificent brown. Congrats again and thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad - I was just in the right place at the right time I guess! I decided to tie up some walt's worms this past winter and have been messing around with them but I have to say that this is the first fish I've caught on one.

      Delete
  8. That's a beauty of brown Mark. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Howard. The Farmington has been producing a good number of large browns this year!

      Delete
  9. Looks like a great outing... that large brown is just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete